Pod EXPLOSION.

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Dej, Apr 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dej

Dej Plankton

Hey, I joined because I've found a lot of good information here on some topics, its really nice.

Anyway, the problem I'm having right now is loads of pods (not so much of a problem, until they mess up the aesthetic looks of the DT :-/.)

Its a 29G with a 20l sump refugium (24/7 lighting on fuge.) Its lightly stocked with only a pair of ORA clowns. My temp is a little high at 81f, maybe the higher temperature made the pods reproduce faster? The pods are covering the glass on the DT and the sand bed is full of pods. I always wanted a Mandarin, but I've heard that they're not compatible with deep sand beds, that they would dig the DSB like a Blenny would?

Anyway, its nice to be in the forum. Looking forward to it! ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well I doubt it would be a problem with your DSB.The real issue with them in such a small tank is it will almost completely strip that tank of pods in short order and then most likely starve to death.I would suggest a small wrasse as they are very efficient pod hunters and will also readily eat prepared foods.Good luck.;And welcome to 3reef!!!

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef!!

Vinny is correct. Don't put a mandarin in there unless you are willing to set up a separate tank as a pod farm. A mandarin will solve your pod problem in less than a week......then you will be left with a mandarin feeding problem.

5. Dej

Dej Plankton

Wouldn't the fuge be enough as a separate 'pod farm'?

But, today I cleaned the front panel of the DT to get rid of a few hydroids, which I hear will just go away if I leave them alone for awhile, and there are much less pods on the front panel. I'm assuming that's because there isn't much algae to eat after I cleaned it off, but I didn't really see any algae before anyway :confused:.

I almost got a sixline wrasse awhile ago, but I heard they can be abit aggressive and I really wanted to provide a very secure environment for the expensive ORA clowns - so I didn't get one :-/. (the only friends they have is a pair of Harlequin shrimp, really pretty but its kind of hard to sacrifice a starfish once a week :cry:)

This is abit off-topic, but I didn't place any egg crate under the DSB when I first set it up and my rock structure is relatively secure, but I have the tank right next to the big TV and I REALLY wouldn't like it to collapse and crack the bottom of the tank (even though I think the DSB would cushion the blow.) Anyway, I just don't want the rocks to crush the LPS corals on the sand.

I tried out the ultra expensive Eco Tech glue for coral fragging, it's suppose to be able to be used underwater and I guess it is - but its a little challenging because it starts setting so fast underwater.. Is there any other products that I could use instead? (hopefully underwater?)

And thanks, it great to be joining the forum. Looking forward to meeting everyone ;D;D;D!

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

You can try Super Glue Gel, or some Epoxy.

Pod populations are going to wax and wane based on available food, and fish that eat them. I have found that the less I feed my clowns the more they eat the pods.

You are correct the initial hydroids you see on the glass will eventually die off, it's type you find in the rock work that can be an issue.

For that size tank with two current clowns, Fire fish and Royal Grammas are good choices that do not get too large. Chalk Basslet is good as well. Six line wrasses can be very problematic in small tanks.

Sounds like you are off to a great start and are doing the appropriate research.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Pod populations often boom like that in newer tanks, then balance out. Just like hydroids, algae, etc.

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I got a Six Line Wrasse to keep my pod pop down in my DT. They are exploding in my fuge...

10. Dej

Dej Plankton

I think the explosion was more or less because I have been feeding the clowns peas (female was constipated, looks much better now) and some of the little pieces of peas would find their way to the ground.. The fuge has a normal ammount of pods, but the DT is really overwhelmed lately, maybe peas are an Aphrodisiac to pods? ;D. Anyway, I'm just going to leave the tank alone and let the pods do their thing.

Mandarin I guess isn't going to go in, I'll just leave the clowns to hang with their starfish eating friends :cry:. I'll get fish this summer I guess. 8)

I think I'll use Aquamend for the rocks, it looks like something solid after a little searching, don't know SO much about it though.

11. jdrak

jdrak Astrea Snail

I had the same happen to my tank at about the 2 month mark. Always had a 6-line, 3 of them in fact, never a problem. The thing I realized is that with the pod population I could feed every other day with no ill effects, lowered the trates and phos by doing this.