PNY's 1000 liter (lots of DIY)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Pny, Jun 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pny

Pny Astrea Snail

Thanks! :)

Well... I probably am... :cool:

I recently added this shelf (DIY) to my left hand side cabinet to fit all my gadgets... :D

pny_ps10871b700.jpg

(Note that the slave dosing pump is used on my smaller reef tank instead).

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You don't happen to be in the aquarium installation and maintenance business do you? :)

Wow. I am not sure where to start.

I am very impressed by your installations and your aquarium. I am also very impressed with your mastery of the new 3reef post editor. lol. Great to see.

What are you using for sound-proofing? I have used bed-foam in the past, but you are using something different it appears.

matt

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

This is a very impressive build. How do the overflows work. I would like to see more of what you did there.

5. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Wow, just wow. I can not get my head around that sump set up. Can you go into further explanation of how exactly it works? I am also interested in the overflow you have. I can not tell you how impressed I am.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

beautiful tank! love your little observers :)

7. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

Really nice! Enjoy the DIY part of our hobby......allows thinking outside the box or dual chamber....lol:) If I may ask what did you use for the gray tops of your pellet reactors?
    Enjoyed the video's very much also!!!

8. Click Here!

9. Pny

Pny Astrea Snail

I'm an engineer at heart, designing and building my own equipment is part of my hobby. (My profession is system design of embedded software).

Thanks!

It's sold as sheets of sound proofing foam here in Sweden.

The overflow is my own version of the all-PVC-overflow design... I'm afraid I dont got a detailed description of the design, but I basically increased the inlet size, doubled a few pipes and converted the vertical parts to the Durso design... It swallows the water I want (I've tested as much as 6000 l/h / 1580 US gallons/h). It can be totally silent but requires careful adjustment to get there... (See photos below).

Thanks... It's my two sons.

Thanks! (Also see photos below)

Some photos of my overflow design....

pny_0648M2b650.jpg
    Unfolded (to show how its connected, note that one vertical pipe is missing in the middle.)

pny_ix5017b650.jpg
    Folded as used (note that vertical pipe's is not connected)

pny_40d3893b650.jpg
    Airlines to remove collected air.

pny_40d3338b650.jpg
    Unions for easier maintenance.

RoloSaez and Matt Rogers like this.
  10. Pny

Pny Astrea Snail

Posting some additional photos of my sump...

pny_3759_sump_eng.jpg
    Old photo of my sump (Some eqiupment, ie: Manifold on return is missing, Eheim pump is replaced by much more powerful Laguna pump...)

Sump Design

sump_english.gif sumpskiss3.gif

ATO section
    I have located the ATO-section under skimmer section... (I've never seen any one else use that design, but its a really good space saver). Also note the red arrow that shows how water flows back to my ATO-section instead of overflowing onto my floor in case of malfunction.

Skimmer section
    The water comes down from the aquarium in this section. The skimmer section holds the skimmer, the ozone water pump and also held an algae scrubber for a period of time...

Unused section
    The sump has an currently unused section in the middle of the bubble trap. This was first designed for a passive cooling section, circulating a separated volume of water under my house, but I never implemented that... This section is probably being converted to a cryptic zone or a low flow filter with siporax or Seachem matrix media in the future.

Water change section
    This section can be isolated from the rest of the sump by turning a valve. The main purpose of this section is to hold water that is being mixed with salt during water changes. I siphon all water in this section, add new water and salt, and wait for it to heat and mix... This section also houses some of my reactors.

Return section
    This section holds the return pump and the ATO level-sensor. The water level in this section is set really low to have space for the water coming down from the display tank in case of power outage.

Sump Construction Photos

pny_ix5111b650.jpg pny_ix5125b650.jpg pny_ix5128b650.jpg pny_ix5140b650.jpg pny_ix5299b650.jpg

REEF~SHARK likes this.
  11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Truly impressive and inspiring.

12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Very nice set up. Can't wait till I have more time to read your thread in detail.