Plywood frag tank construction

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by slowleak, Jan 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

All very good points. Especially about how it snaps versus bends. If there was to be a failure, it would be catastrophic and you would most likely loose everything, where as plywood might give you a little extra time to at least save something.

As for being water tight, I see absolutely no problem. This thing will be sealed in and out, and I know for a fact I can completely seal it.

Screws? Whats that? I use 1.5" brads and glue for EVERYTHING when it comes to MDF. With the right bracing, I can assure you this "tank" could deffinately stand the test of time, but I keep leaning more and more towards plywood:-[ I will eventually build a MDF tank just for the hell of it to see if i can prove the "MDF wont work for a fish tank" theory wrong. Jst build it and fill it with water, let it sit in the garage and wait. Should be interesting

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

For MDF, yeah, you would use brads, but for tank building, screws work better.

I can dig up some other reasons not to use mdf, but until then I will comment ont he marine grade plywood that was asked before.

You certainly can use it, but there is no reason to. It is too expensive and once encapsulated with epoxy, the whole "marine " treating of it is never to be seen or heard of again.

Last I saw, marine grade 3/4" plywood was like $80 a sheet. That would buy 2 sheets of the nice birch plywood I used. I only used 3 sheets total for my 200g tank. Had I not insited on a 1 piece top frame/ eurobrace, I could have gotten away with only 2 sheets.

4. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

Some people dont know the difference between a brad and a nail, so I just say nail :D I will deffinately be using screws, holes pre-drilled and counter-sunk.

Little update, Mardi Gras is here!!! Benn busy at work so I have had very little time to work on this tank. I did however get enough dont to realize it wont make the turn into my room out of the hallway, so now most of the construction will be done inside my room. I will actually have to bring in 75% of the pieces through a window lol.

After Mardi Gras is over, I will jump back on this. Untill then it's a waiting game

5. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

volume of 4950

6. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I am curious to watch this thread. I am just starting to design a 200+ gallon plywood tank. Very interest in watching the details.

7. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Astrea Snail

Special screw for MDF

I'm following these woody builds closely - very interested to see pics. Regarding MDF, IMO I would stay away from typical wood screws and certainly dry wall screws. The will not hold in MDF. Or they may...You will find out one way or the other at the wrong time. There are special MDF screws (conformat) available on the internet. Look for the specialy fastner catalogs. There will be a special drill bit for pre drilling. The screws are about 3" long and when used with something like Gorilla glue, will work wonders. One word of caution - you have to set up a jig to make sure you are pre drilling exactly in the center of the sheet edge.
    You can check this link out - Fastening MDF & Melamine Particle Board | McFeely's

8. Click Here!

9. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Astrea Snail

For others considering a woody build you may consider using either plywood or MDF but make your design to include an edge of real wood in which to screw in to. Add this edge by biscuit joining and glueing. Done correctly this edge will be stronger than the wood itself. I'm still looking for an answer on "Euro" bracing.

10. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Astrea Snail

Hey Slowleak - how do i subscribe to this post to get updates?

11. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

First off, thanks for the link, very good info :D although I have decided to go with a "true" wood build for my big frag tank. I will deffinately be attempting a smaller build with the MDF, but will be using brads (nails) liquid nails, and drywall screws. Ive built many a speaker enclosure this way, and have even taken a maul to several with no damage done except for cosmetically.

As for subscribing, I have no clue. I would also like to know how to subscribe.

12. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

what is your question about euro bracing?