Ply Wood Tank Help

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by kramfinz, Jan 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kramfinz

kramfinz Astrea Snail

Hello All My name is Mark
    I am planning on possibly building a plywood tank and would like some feedback from anyone who has experience doing this. I have a perfect spot in the basement where I am finishing a room for a built in tank. Dimensions would be 43"w x 33"d x 36"h about 210gals in an almost cube type shape. I've been reading articles about this and have some ?'s.

1) One thing I read was someone using West Marine epoxy resin to seal the tank. Will this work in a salt water tank, and because it's clear can the wood be painted first?

2)Does anyone have experience building in overflows? None of the tanks I have seen have built in overflows.

We'll start there. Any help from experienced builders would be greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I've never heard of that Epoxy being used, but if you check out my build thread in my signature (From what I know) I did a decent job taking pics of everything. One thing I would suggest Is the external overflows like the ones I put in. They're AWESOME! They look very clean and don't cut down on your aquascaping creative juices ;) One thing I would have done differently on mine is drilled more holes so that one day I could have done a closed loop system instead of powerheads - live and learn.

4. kramfinz

kramfinz Astrea Snail

True but trying to avoid a hang on overflow as they will take up valuable space behind the tank. Trying to avoid that so the tank can fill the entire space. Built in overflows with all the plumbing coming off the bottom of tank is really what i would like to have.

5. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

Check out the GARF website, GARF.org. All you have to do is punch in your tank dimensions and they will give you detailed instructions. They will even provide a materials/cut list. Good luck.

6. kramfinz

kramfinz Astrea Snail

Oooooook maybe I need to rephrase my ?'s
    For those of you who have built plywood tanks(with the exception of FROC3)what epoxy resins or paints have you used? FROC I saw your build, nice. I noticed you used pool epoxy. I just want to make sure none of these things will harm the fish in the long run. I assume when this stuff dries it's basically plastic so it won't. GARF says to use food grade epoxy, but i've noticed a lot of people have not. I'm looking to find out from experience what products work well.
    Second, Is still the same. Has anyone built in overflows into the tank? I don't want to sacrifice space in the back of the tank for hang on overflows.
    Thanks for the input.

7. reefwisperer

reefwisperer Feather Duster

is the whole tank going to be plywood? if yes what type. here i my site. WOODWORKING A-Z

8. Click Here!

9. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

First off, I am in the middle of a build that is very similar to yours, and I have witnessed several builds. YES West or MAS epoxy will work great! They are a marine epoxy used on sealing saltwater craft, have no VOC's and will turn your tank into a "tank." ALL of your aquariums strength and water tightness comes from this, and it should not be used sparingly, and I wouldn't use non resin type sealers...

Use a pour method, as in DON'T paint it on. Pour it and squeegie it across. You can use fiberglass reinforcement if you want but it's not necessary due to the fact that the epoxy is literally ROCK hard. DON'T use those crappy GARF plans. They will work, but IMO they have definite weaknesses. You should build it with 45* pieces in the corners for added strength as this is where it will be weakest. I have an external coast to coast overflow on mine, but I have seen internal as well> This can be done with epoxy coated wood, or even acrylic.

For a TON of information check here: www.fingerlakesreef.com
    Kent's the master and has built or assisted in several plywood tanks. They have a dedicated plywood section.

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Not too late to drain, drill, install bulkheads, and fill ;)

11. kramfinz

kramfinz Astrea Snail

Awesome thanks for the info. I actually found an epoxy paint that is made by Sweetwater that says fish safe on it. I read about someone else's build and that is what they used and it comes in black so i think i will probably use 4 coats of that. I also found another build with built in overflows and pvc drains which i believe i will also incorporate. I am just in the research phase right now, i will be finishing the room in the basement and adding the tank at the same time this Spring. I'm going to build a wet/dry because the one I have currently was used on my 55 reef setup and is obviously way to small. Will probably use that and a closed system for water circulation. Lots of planning to do!!

12. kramfinz

kramfinz Astrea Snail

Oh in reference to JasonSquared my tank is going to be built into an alcove in the basement that is concrete and framed in so there will be liitle room for any kind of expansion of the tank. I will definitely check out your site though.