Plumbing question/suggestion

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Vu Nguyen, Nov 1, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vu Nguyen

Vu Nguyen Flamingo Tongue

I do not plan to aggregate anyone, but the 1.25 inch PVC is not ".25" bigger than the 1 inch PVC. If you measure the hole inside, then yes, but I was talking about the outside. Anyway, I asked 1 question and it turned into a drama. I don't think I need that here :)

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

hate to repost the same thing, but here we go.

If you go to a smaller pipe, you'll restrict flow more, I prefer more flow, especially through the sump, as this is where your filtration occurs. However if ultimately, you think it is visually unappealing, then don't run it like that. There are a couple DIY methods to reduce noise if that's what you're worried about.

4. Vu Nguyen

OK point taken. Thanks

5. Vu Nguyen

I actually was thinking since the 1 inch drain can handle 1200gph or more, and my return pump can only pump up 800gph most, I should not have any problems using 1 inch drain...... 1.25 drains even faster than the 1 inch drain....and it is ugly...over kill and not needed basically was my reason for asking.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Then do the 1". Personally I'd just get a bigger pump and take advantage of that.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

In all fairness to the opThe difference in the od is actually .345 bigger. Not a huge difference but in the interest of accuracy there it is.We all make mistakes. No need for drama. I gave you several suggestions to help you. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Hi there,
    you've had two very experienced reefers chime in to your thread.

It finally came out that the sizing refers to the ID=inside diameter.
    The drain- whatever size it is- will only flow what the return system feeds it- to a point- then it came be maxed out and an overflow of the DT occurs- but I'm confident you knew that too- no sarcasm intended.

It seems most of your issue is in fact cosmetic? Is it in the back of your DT? Is it against a wall? Do you have a canopy of some type?
    You mention the return bulkheads are 1.25" ID? It'd go with that and tune your system. Is there a hose/airline in the top vent on the durso? Is the end of the hose coming back down so that the pipe cna turn into a full siphon if the water level in the overflow area comes up too high and will make the inverted airline tube go underwater?

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  10. Vu Nguyen

Thanks Tod,
    The drain ID is 1.25, the return ID is 0.5; The overflow box is kind of side way not to the wall, so I will put some kind of decoration to the outside to block light coming to it....
    The vent on top of the durso will never be under water. I actually plan to have the apex cut the power to the return pump if water is passing a certain level in the DT. Can't afford to sleep on the porch :) (I don't have 1)
    I already bought the parts so I guess I will try this way out. If the big drain makes too much noise, I can always unscrew the durso and use the 1 inch durso. My current tank has 3/4 in ID return and 1 in drain.....

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Sounds like a good plan, I'm sure it will work out just fine. Keep us posted with pics!

Vu Nguyen likes this.
  12. Vu Nguyen

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I was having some free time at work so I went back to my post and just happened to read your post. Somehow I missed this one earlier.

When you hold PVC pipes, you don't hold them by the diameter, you actually wrap your palm around the pipe. We are talking the space volume the pipe occupies.

1 inch PVC pipe OD : 1.315
    1.25 inch PVC pipe OD: 1.660
    Source:
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-dimensions-d_795.html

Cross cut section area:
    cross cut section area of 1 inch pipe = (1.315/2)*(1.315/2)*3.14 = 1.357 squared inches
    cross cut section area of 1.25 in pipe = (1.660/2)*(1.660/2)*3.14 = 2.163 squared inches

Area difference between the 1.25 and 1 inch PVC pipe cross cut section is 0.81 squared inches (2.163 - 1.357) = 0.81

Note: 0.81 is 59.40% of 1.357 (1.357 is the cross cut section area of the 1 inch PVC pipe)

Basically the cross cut section of a 1.25 inch PVC pipe area is over 50%(close to 60%) bigger than the 1 inch PVC pipe cross cut section. Therefore, the space volume the 1.25 inch PVC pipe occupies is over 50% bigger than the space volume the 1 inch PVC pipe does. Somebody with a math major please confirm this. Simply speaking, if you cut the 1 inch PVC pipe long enough to hold can hold 1 quart of water, the same length of a 1.25 inch PVC pipe can hold at about 1.5 quarts of water (50% more). This is why when I hold the 2 PVC pipes side by side, the 1.25 inch PVC pipe is like 50% bigger than the other while the ID is only .25 inch (or 25%) different.
    I thought when I posted the picture, it was clear enough, LOL was I wrong!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015