Plumbing question/suggestion

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Vu Nguyen, Nov 1, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vu Nguyen

Vu Nguyen Flamingo Tongue

Oh, and by the way, 50% more is this, at least for me. If the old one is 1 inch, the 50% more would be 1.5 inch, no 2 inches :)

2. Click Here!

3. Vu Nguyen

The 1.25 cap or any connectors are huge too. Making the whole thing really ridiculous

4. Vu Nguyen

BTW, I use schedule 40...... plumbing parts

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yeah one is bigger then the other obviously..25 inch bigger.:rolleyes:
    This is why the overflow usually goes on the back so you can't see it. Adding backflow to a drain is not a good idea.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  6. Vu Nguyen

LOL, you got to be kidding me!

7. Vu Nguyen

No, I am not going to take the tape measure out to show you another picture hahahahha

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

No. Not kidding you. 1.0-1.25=.25

While I did misread your original post. 50%+1=1.5 not 1.25 .:p

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Technically 1.0-1.25= -.25 not .25, but I'm not a math major ;)

But like vinny said, if the pipe measures 1" and the other is 1.25" unless they gave you wrong sizes, it has to be a difference of .25"...

Don't add a backflow. Ultimately you can go to the smaller pipe, but it just reduces turnover rate, so it's up to you if you want to make that trade. I've always been a fan of more flow, especially through the sump. But whatever is more visiually appealing works I guess

11. Vu Nguyen

Let's get back to my question. I am not asking how much percentage 1.25 is bigger than 1.00; In case you wonder, I copy and paste it here again.

So I am working on an 87 gallon tank. It comes with a 1/2 inch return pump and 1.25 inch drain holes. I am putting an adapter to use 3/4 return pump. The drain, I am doing a durso stand pipe. The over flow box looks ridiculous with a huge 1.25 PVC durso stand pipe. Should I get an adapter to make it smaller to 1 inch or so?
    On my current tank, the drain is 1 inch and it has no problem tanking the drainage from the 3/4 return pump which is a tunze 1073.40 that pumps about 700-800 gph.

Also, should I lower the neck of the durso a bit. I raised it high to cut down the noise. Experience gained from the current tank :)

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Edited my post as you posted this, you can re read it or I can copy and paste, in case you "wonder."