Plumbing question/suggestion

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Vu Nguyen, Nov 1, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vu Nguyen

Vu Nguyen Flamingo Tongue

So I am working on an 87 gallon tank. It comes with a 1/2 inch return pump and 1.25 inch drain holes. I am putting an adapter to use 3/4 return pump. The drain, I am doing a durso stand pipe. The over flow box looks ridiculous with a huge 1.25 PVC durso stand pipe. Should I get an adapter to make it smaller to 1 inch or so?
    On my current tank, the drain is 1 inch and it has no problem tanking the drainage from the 3/4 return pump which is a tunze 1073.40 that pumps about 700-800 gph.

Also, should I lower the neck of the durso a bit. I raised it high to cut down the noise. Experience gained from the current tank :)

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Vu Nguyen

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would leave the drain pipe alone. I don't see how a slightly smaller one is gonna make it look any better.

5. Vu Nguyen

It does. The 1.25 is a lot bigger. I would say like 50% bigger than the 1 inch from the outside.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Not a math major but a 1 inch pipe is not half the size of a 1.25 inch pipe.lol

7. Vu Nguyen

also, 1 of my concern is the noise. The part after the bulkhead will still be 1.5, only the top part is 1 inch, so will the splashing noise be if I have the reducer at the bulkhead?

8. Click Here!

9. Vu Nguyen

I am not a math major either, but I have them side by side :); Need a picture?

10. Vinnyboombatz

Take a piece of dark window tint and cover the glass over the overflow.Problem solved.

11. Vinnyboombatz

I don't need a picture I was a plumber for years.Its only a .25 inch difference.

12. Vu Nguyen

I am sure not a plumber, but I go to home depot and basically use their measurement :); If you say the right one is not 1.25 or the left one is not 1 inch PVC, I think we are done discussing :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015