Plumbing leak

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mulder32, Jan 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Better than tape for PVC is LaCo PVC thread lubricant in stick form.
    It is used by swimming pool equipment installers and the stuff stays pliable for decades so never leaks.

Also the reason you have leaks is the PVC male adapter is tapered pipe threads and the internal threads in your barbed adapter are non tapered, designed to be screwed on many pump outlets that butt up and use a gasketed seal rather than tightening up with tapered threads. Two different types of plumbing.

2. Click Here!

3. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Ooh nice tip there az. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to pick up some of that in the future

4. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

Here's a twist to the scenario....what if you couldn't unscrew the pieces due to glued plumbing on either end. Would it be ok to use silicone or epoxy putty?

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Maybe as a temporary fix but if you need to drain the tank to make the fix, why not do it the correct way so it does not have to be fixed again and again?

6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I doubt it's been leaking for 3 years and 1.5 months.

7. rcflyer1388

I agree with you 100%. In my case I basically have the same little one drip per 5 min from the PVC adapter that goes into the bulkhead. In a normal instance I would cut and replace that section and all. In this case I'm kind of rushed at this point to get the tank up and running because I found a buyer for the old one. On top of which my job is sending me away for 3 weeks. But something like 1 drop I can seal up fairly good and call it a day. I work with 3000psi hydraulic systems that drip here and there and they don't get out of hand so a return line with a few psi doesn't seem too bad. I just wanted to get some feedback as to if anyone else performed this taboo of reefing lol....And going back to the original guy with the issue, something must've fixed it since it's a fairly old post.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I have one of those. I'll fix it at some point. It was hard to see but I have a very fine crack in the bulkhead on the inside of tank. I was using tape and PTFE paste but I think I'll just use the paste in the future.

10. rcflyer1388

didn't think of the paste. How's the repair holding up?

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

The euro brace repair is great. I feel so much better ;D

12. rcflyer1388

isn't that a tank repair for the rim and not a leaky bulkhead repair? lol.