please read - update - ooo, aahh Pics LOL

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by oldfishkeeper, Jan 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Thanks for the words of encouragement Sailorguy and for all your advice on the this thread! Appreciate it!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am VERY curious to hear how it's going.

Hope all is well.

4. oldfishkeeper

Well, everything survived, yea!! I found an emerald crab that stayed alive in cold water in my rock bucket and he just floated on down and started picking. I did a mix of live arogonite sand and crushed coral for my substrate......it's really not even an inch in some spots which is fine by me. Canister is off-line and I'm going to hook up 1/4 dose pellets tonight. Tested trates and STILL around 30ish which is an improvement......my scape looks good and I think all livestock is accounted for except my tube anemone. Do they sometimes shed their tubes? while in the holding tank, he came out of his tube so I just placed him in the tank hoping he'll find a spot.....if they indeed shed their tubes..

I could not catch my goby so he stayed in the tank through the whole change and couldn't see him last night, but alas, there he was today in about the same spot he was before and my pistol is digging a new hole....I probably still will mess with the scape because I was too darn tired yesterday to do much with it.....being in the smaller tank I think made my chromis a little more buddy/buddy because they're really schooling today actually with the clowns, kind of cute. I am using the microbacter 7 and will dose for 2 weeks.....I did get a hang on filter with carbon and phosguard in it....

Thanks all that took the time to read and give me advice. Only those in the hobby can understand how challenging this hobby can be :)

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I am so excited to hear that everything is going well. I think you are on the right track and your hard work will eventually really pay off. I would expect those trates to keep going down.

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Sounds really good,you'll have to show us a couple pics when you get a chance.

7. oldfishkeeper

yes, I'll see if I can get hubby to get a shot....It kind of looks like I just threw the rock in there at this point lol ...I really like the crushed coral - I really vacillated on that decision and am really glad I got it, it just looks nicer than smaller grain sand....My pistol I don't think was too happy that he had to start building from scratch with heavier stuff....

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looking forward to the updates.

A tank make over can be very motivating.

10. oldfishkeeper

You are right coralline. I'm really pumped now...it just looks "cleaner" with the new sand and some of my random rock pulled out. I'm so happy the goby survived. Now, I'm planning on what I want to keep eventually. Fish especially. With less rock, I definitely have more swimming room for fish.

11. Coasterofluv

Coasterofluv Fire Worm

awesome!! cant wait to see pics.

12. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

I'm glad everything is going great! Hopefully you'll start to see those numbers go down and some Coraline start to spread