please read - update - ooo, aahh Pics LOL

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by oldfishkeeper, Jan 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm going to replace some of my existing rock with new live rock. What do people recommend in terms of what to look for to make sure it's quality rock? I know how to see the obvious critters, but anything else to look for? Is it best to look for an established piece (I need coralline) and probably more expensive? Or just add in basic rock from the big tub? :) I'm going to take some of my less interesting pieces out and keep bigger more interesting shaped pieces.

I like being pretty much "hitchhiker" free but miss that interesting time in watching what does come along on the rock although there are perils involved. Interesting part of the hobby.....

Oh, one other piece of advice, how do I take out the sand by hand and make sure I don't scoop up some of the sand snails? just going through each batch I take out with my hands I assume...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Why are you changing out your live rock? - If you have an established tank I would suggest adding dry rock - good premium. When buying live rock be sure you get it from an established aquarium or lfs. Insure no algae, manjo's or glass anemone's. try to get light porous rock with lots of ridges.

Removing sand is tough and you will not be able to save all the snails - best to use your fingers as a rake and get as many as possible.

from experience :) when I upgraded from my 75 to 180.

4. cj22009

cj22009 Astrea Snail

Be careful removing the sand. I have seen it cause and ammonia spike due to all the dead matter in the sand unless you vac your sand when you do water changes.

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Are you redoing the whole tank?

6. Coasterofluv

Coasterofluv Fire Worm

I have some really great live rock from my main LFS. I only paid $5.99-7.99/lb for it but I got lucky. I search for the darkest piece as in my tank the darkest pieces produce the most corralline on the rest of the rock. When I added a piece that was so purple it was almost black I had tons of green everywhere within a couple weeks.
    Honestly, I've never seen rock this dirty anywhere before. Maybe it's because we're in Florida but I don't think so.

7. oldfishkeeper

Well, I'm not taking out all of the live rock just a few pieces and adding new to add in some diversity......I'm taking out all of the sand except a little to seed dry sand....I have come to the conclusion that this is the only way I can reduce my nitrates in the long run....that is an idea though to just put in dry rock but I'd like to add some diversity by adding live....I plan on removing all live stock to a 20 gallon tank prior to removing the sand.

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I think you have a good plan.It would also be good if you can put the rock that you plan on reusing in the 20 or in buckets with some tank water,that way you can take your time and let the dust from new sand settle before aquascaping.Or,some prefer to aquascape by putting the rock directly on the tank bottom and add the sand last.Either way it would be good to have your rock in water till you need it and not feel rushed.When I did my tank changeover I used sugar sized sand and ended up replacing most of it with reef aragonite.The sugar sized was too fine and blew around much too easily.

10. oldfishkeeper

What did you do as far as redo? You had a corner tank right? oh, I think I remember you saying it cracked and you had to change quickly.....is everything doing good? Did you have any cycle? I'm thinking sand then rock for sure, something about rock on bare glass scares me.....

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Make sure you get some Bio-Spira and use it immediately after doing the change. It's a great product. (queue the nay sayers). You have a good plan and I do agree that this is the only way you are going to get your nitrates down. I'm sure, from the poor husbandry (yourself admitted), the sand has absorbed all it can possibly absorb and possibly your rock as well. Have fun with it and make sure you are happy with what you do.

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Yes I have a 40breeder now and everything is good,I like the new tank much better.I used all of my old rock but all new sand and water and added a bottle of birospira to help seed the sand with bacteria.I added my two clownfish two days later and my other three fish a week after that just to be on the safe side.I had no cycle that I know of and everything remained healthy.I did get diatoms on the new sand which have pretty much disappeared and now have a little bit of cyno on the sand.It too seems to be disappearing gradually.Yeah I agree about the sand,some people feel it's better to stack the rock directly on the glass incase you add a fish that likes to dig or burrow.I like having the sand to help hold the rock in place.