Please Help!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by iloveseaturtles, Feb 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you do an anemone do the BTA or maxi mini anemones. Add them before you add any sensitive corals like stony corals.

I have kept them in a mixed reef. But they were first introductions and allowed to acclimate for a good while until they found a spot they liked and moved very little, but it's still a gamble if one up and decides to take a walk. I would be very nervous to go on any vacation knowing my entire tank could be nuked. Just know the risk.

Bristleworms are best detritus eaters I have ever encountered and reef safe.

2. Click Here!

3. iloveseaturtles

iloveseaturtles Astrea Snail

Ok, thanks. I hope to purchase my tank and set it up in the next month or so, adding the fish and corals in July. How early should I add an anemone?

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Thats been all the rage since Finding Nemo. Beforehand, almost no one kept them. I'm not trying to be a jerk by anymeans, I have personally lost an entire system to an anemone, I have been there. Also, you need to realize that just because you have an anemone doesn't mean the clowns will go near it. They may still choose to host your corals, powerhead, heater, a rock, whatever. An anemone will not guarantee they won't harass your corals by any means. My old pair preferred zoas, even with an anemone.

There really isn't one, to be honest. If the puffer decides it's food, it will get eaten. This can apply to corals as well. Puffers are usually worse around things than angels and even some triggers due to the fact that puffers actually have beaks. They need to peck at things to maintain their beaks. While all fish are different, yes there is a chance you can get one that will be well behaved. If not, make sure the store you get it from will take returns, many do not.

By rubble I mean just a few small rocks from the tank or sump. You just need to seed the system so it can cycle. Contrary to popular belief, the amount of live rock or sand does not effect the speed of the cycle, if anything more is worse. My 275 gallon system cycled in 9 days with a half cup of live sand and that is all, everything else was dry. Using as much dry materials as possible will reduce the chances of getting a bad algae or bad hitch-hikers.

Negative. Some are and some are not. I had bristleworms eat $300 worth of clams and corals in my 40G system, so from now on I destroy all bristleworms on site.

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

It sounds like you had some bad luck with bristle worms. But, I have to disagree with you. I have tons of them in my system, and have yet to have a problem with them. They eat all my left overs for me.

6. iloveseaturtles

Ok. A bulb anemone is just another name for a bubble tip, so I'll do that. Could I add soft corals, such as a toadstool leather coral, at the same time?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes you could but know that the anemone has the potential to sting them when it moves. I would take appropriate steps to cover the power heads as well.

8. Click Here!

9. IBEW41

IBEW41 Astrea Snail

when people say what 6 months to 1 yr its to see if all your parameters stay consistent that long.If you get an anemone as soon as you start your tank the odds are it will die and possibly nuke your tank.I have a rbta thats about 1 ft in diameter in a 120g sps dominate tank and have to keep a good 6" around it clear.I have been lucky that my bta has not moved in yrs

10. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Tube anemones don't move to my knowlege. They're NPS.

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Apparently they can, but they don't often. Saw a thread a day or 2 ago elsewhere where someone's tube anemone left the tube and moved to another part of the tank.

12. iloveseaturtles

Ok. Should I get a tube anemone?