Please help me understand a lighting concept

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Bob F, Sep 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I am looking to upgrade my lights and as I am investigating and reading the vast amounts of threads about them there is one concept that confuses me. I often read suggestions from reefers have some of the more expensive and or powerful lights that they do not have the lights fully ramped up. Often they quote as keeping them at only xx percentage of power. This confuses me because then why do we need such a powerful light? Is it another issue with the light such as general brightness etc? Because why would I need to buy a light that produces say 800 PAR at 12 inches when all I going to do is tune it down when I can save money and buy a light that produces the same amount of PAR at the tuned down PAR. Hope my question makes sense. I just want to fully understand all points before I make my next purchase.

2. Click Here!

3. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

I think it's to make the lights last longer, if you buy something and run it at full capacity all the time, it will die on you faster. Also, LED's are supposed to last a very long time, but one thing that kills LED's fast is heat. But getting better lights and running them at 30% power you make sure heat is never an issue. But this is just my guesses from computer/electronics perspective.

mdbostwick and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Mr. Bill likes this.
  5. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I dont run the Dirt cheap lights but I dont run the Radios either. I have a Reef Radiance Lumentek Pro 240. I run it at 70% blue and 40% white. hitting 200 par 20" deep in my tank. My lights are more powerful than I need because.. well. why not. I paid around $300 for them but also ran a less expensive model prior to these. for asthetic reasons I switched.

now, my lights dont have much in the way of Fancy features like storm mode and lightning and all that. I have seen the Radions in person, they produce a very good color in the zoas, but the blues were also turned up higher.

With LED, Less power= Less heat. Sinc eheat is the #1 killer of Leds (and most lights) Less heat= Longer life.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Some lower-powered LEDs have been known to discolor in as little as 1 year, drastically reducing their PAR and altering their spectrum when run at 100%.

7. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Ah makes sense. Thank you all. Very close to ordering lights Todd suggested (can't beat that price) Just not sure if I want to pay a lot more for the fully programmable lights at this time. decisions decisions!!!

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang