Please help me ID anemone

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Peredhil, Sep 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

well i guess to get back to the subject, i would say aiptasia.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Hey, that's the wrong subject for this thread ;):p

What about my photo?

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

:) I still think yours is possibly a baby Rose Anemone, i saw some online that looked fairly similar to yours... but i really don't think it is a pest nem, has it spread much? usually the pest one's spread extremely fast.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have had the three of them since I started in August (and the folks I got them from had them for several months before that) and they have not spread at all.

EDIT: also, they haven't grown or changed in any way other than they occasionally move, but that's pretty rare too.

6. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

I seriously think it's aiptasia. I wouldn't risk it. You cannot imagine how fast they can take off if you water quality drops. Aiptasia X. It works wonders on the little buggers. They think its food. I have had much experience with aiptasia, and catching them when they are small is the trick.

7. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

dont kill it it looks really cool! Looks kinda like one anemone I caught here off the inlet

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

It's not aiptasia. I don't think it even looks like aiptasia. Arcain might have been referring to the person who replied later trying to get his own ID on my thread.

I feed them every few weeks to keep them happy. They're pretty cool. (I have 3 of them, they haven't spread at all though).

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I really don't think these are majano - majano tend to be green with more bubble tipped tentacles, Peredhil's is gold with much more straight tentacles.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Reminder, they came out of the Gulf of Mexico. They have not spread at all.

When they close up (which is typically how they are) they form little button looking things (page one has a pic).

They move (I don't believe aiptasia really do). One lives in the crushed coral substrate. He gets buried every day and most nights he comes up and sprouts out the top (he's against the glass, so I can see his side even when buried, kind of weird). The other two live on the rock - moving each time I move my power heads pretty much.

I haven't seen a pic of majano that matches these.