Please Help - - - - I think Im losing my corals

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Reef_Ninja, Jul 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Bummer. Sounds like you are doing everything you can.

2. Click Here!

3. Reef_Ninja

Reef_Ninja Spaghetti Worm

Yeah, just trying to be patient, hoping things stabilize. But really, if the chalice is the only thing I lose, then that's not bad.

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I hear ya. Patience is difficult.

5. Blarghensplargh

Blarghensplargh Astrea Snail

Since your LPS corals are struggling more than the acro have you considered a nutrient deficiency? I've found that LPS corals (especially favia and acans) will slowly die in ultra clean water. If you're having a slight algae issue the algae could very easily be stripping the water of its nutrients. In natural reefs nitrates and phosphates tend to be extremely low, however, they also tend to have a plentiful supply of various plankton to feed off of, giving the corals an opportunity to acquire nutrients directly. Have you tried feeding you acans and favia mysis shrimp or other small meaty foods?

Mr. Bill likes this.
  6. Reef_Ninja

A quick update.

Things are looking pretty steady. My params are pretty stable now, and have been since just about the time I started this post.

However, I also removed my emerald crab and put him in the sump. I saw him picking at my torch, so now he's in the holding cell!

The chalice lost a lot of color and a lot of tissue, but the recession has stopped. Its possible that I might even be able to save it.

The other corals are looking pretty good, the zoas are even starting to open up again............I almost forgot what they looked like! : )

I also started adding a little bit of zoo plankton. I'm only adding half the dose it calls for, and only twice a week for now. Was just hoping to give the corals a little extra nutrition.

Mr. Bill and Billme like this.
  7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Glad to hear it ninja.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef_Ninja

So, just thought Id post a final update, just so that this thread has closure, and for anyone who googles similar problems in the future.

After making sure that the parameter's have been consistently stable, I'm pretty satisfied with how everything is now.

I technically didn't lose any corals, the chalice frag looks pretty rough, but its still alive. The only reason Im keeping it is out of complete curiosity to see what happens in a year or so, if its still here.

I also actually grew another polyp on the zoas, and the Acro is changing colors, its actually two colors now, and felt comfortable enough at this point to add a couple more corals.............updates Ill post in my build thread.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone on bringing me through this!

Billme likes this.
  10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

So a happy ending without pics? :p

11. BorqueReef

BorqueReef Astrea Snail

Great New. Glad it worked out!

Billme likes this.
  12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Great news ninja. Thanks for the update.