plate corals

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by telman2010, Oct 25, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. telman2010

telman2010 Bristle Worm

I've been running my tank now for about 6 months and have assorted corals and all are doing fine. The question is this. I would really like to add a plate coral but don't know much about them. Are they hard to care for? do they need high light or low? Flow? The normal things you need to to know for any coral. Any help much appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well...i have a plate coral, when i put it in (i didnt know what i was doing lol...) 3/4 of it died ...but the 1/4 thats left is doing great and is pretty gold...it seems to be growing ...wait till somone else says somthing lol

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

In my experience, they need regular feedings...(twice per week)

They like lower light and flow, standard LPS care ;)

I personally , am having problems with mine...it kept shrinking and when I thought it was nearly dead, I put it in my refugium. It apparently is much happier there, it has gotten fatter again in there...yellow light, low flow...go figure!

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

reall they need to be fed? you mean like direct feeding or just coral food? hmmm maybe ill try that!

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I direct feed cyclopeeze , mysis shrimp, asst seafood. ;) All my LPS get the royal treatment!

7. telman2010

telman2010 Bristle Worm

Thanks for all the good info folks. I think I will proceed on with the purchase of a plate. I've got my eye on a neon green plate coral, and I just can't stand it anymore. I'm just gonna have to go get it.

8. Click Here!

9. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

you are such a sissy just go buy it allready. you been talkin about that thing for a month. prolly more than a month

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well, theres nothing wrong with that, its always better to think about a buy before you do it, if not you might end up regreting your dicision ;)

11. telman2010

telman2010 Bristle Worm

Billy is a freind. He's just taking a shot a me. It's ok though. Everyone around here knows that its him thats really the sissy. lol.