Planted freshwater tanks with Ick

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by Dustin75, Mar 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

Right now the water is extremely cloudy, I believe it is cycling again since I used the antibiotic. Once it clears up I will post pics. Did a water change on Monday will do another on Friday, maybe Saturday I will take some pics.

I am not currently using co2, I thought about it and decided to try it without. As much as the plants are growing you would think I was! It is unreal what 130 watts of light on a 29 gallon tank will do, in regards to growing plants.

No fish losses yet, knock on wood.

Will keep you informed.

2. Click Here!

3. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

Sweet tank, dirtydavenkc

4. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

The water is still incredibility cloudy, green if you will, I hope this clears up soon. Here are some pics of my cloudy tank.

Attached Files:

5. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

A post of my (on loan from my sister) prego English Bulldog

Attached Files:

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice dog. :) That tank is pea soup! How long do you have to continue treatment? Can you clear it with carbon?

7. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

carbon aint clearing that. What you have is better know as green water. A bacterial bloom will have more of a white haze. The best way to clear it up is with a UV sterilizer. You probably had an ammonia spike which is what usually will set it off. It can be a real pain to get rid of without a UV but it is doable. If you dont have or plan to get a UV then id do a 2-3 day complete blackout of the tank using black garbage bags or black foam board so that zero light ges in. After the 3-4 days are up do a massive water change (like 45%-50%) and that MAY clear it up. If not you may need to get yourself a UV sterilizer.
    Good luck :)

8. Click Here!

9. That Guy

oh and just to add...low co2 levels also help the onset of green water especially in a high light intensity system! Are you dosing the water column with any ferts?

1 person likes this.
  10. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

Thanks, she is a great dog, she is due on the 17th of this month. Will post pics of the puppies if anyone wants to see them (p.s. they are for sale). The picture below is of Sadie (blue collar my sister's dog) and Kratos (my dog in the black).

Now to the aquarium, I ended the treatment on March 27th, replaced carbon at the point. Since then the water has gone from white to green :-/. I have done two water changes so far, one on Sunday the 29th (about 12g ro water) and one on Saturday the 4th (about 10g ro water). The previous pics were taken Sunday the 5th and those pics were an improvement from what it did look like.

I do have a UV sterilizer that I took off of my saltwater tank that I can use on this tank if you believe it will work. I have a 20 gallon tank with SALTWATER MOLLIES in it, it is very cloudy (white) as well do you think that the UV sterilizer will help that as well?

Yes I do dose the aquarium about once a week with Flourish.

Attached Files:

11. That Guy

the UV will clear the green water almost without a doubt. Green water is actually a single celled algae that colonize the water column. It is not a bacterial bloom, it is an algae bloom. If the water in the other tank is white cloudy, than that is most likely bacteria and the UV wont really help that. I think the green water in the planted tank was most likely from high light, low co2, and a nutrient imbalance along with a small ammonia spike.

How long are you running your lights? and are you using fertilizers at all?

12. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

10 hours a day and Flourish