Pistol shrimp problem!!! maybe?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Zoanthids21, Dec 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I have not heard or seen my pistol shrimp for about a week and a half or so and i figured it was molting..I am pretty sure it did because I found some of its body on the sand on the other side of the tank with its "snapping claw". the snapping claw had some color on it still though and thats why i am worried, i dont want to rip the tank apart to see if its still in its burrow, so i am trying to go with this way and see if i can get some answers from you guys.

So the main Q is, when pistol shrimps molt, do they have color on their claw? is this normal? should i be worried about him?

Params are all good, salinity has not changed since day one, 1.025.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

All that can be done is wait and see. If you didn't find any flesh inside the molted skin, I'd say he's good and recovering. Good luck though!! I hope he comes out with a new shiny skin ;)

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

wait a few days I guess; see if he comes out. If not there may be a problem

5. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy Coral Banded Shrimp

mine paired up with my YWG right away. they did great together for about a week. i never saw my tiger pistol shrimp again. it has been a month or so. i have written it off as a loss. i hope yours comes around.

6. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well there are a few possibilities thinking about my coral banded shrimp. He molted and when I got home I saw his main body with no claws, no legs, and no antennae; there was only 1 rock so he wasnt hiding, and the molted skin and his main body were right in front of the tank, making known he was dead. It's possible ur shrimp died in a molt, but again, wait a few days to make sure. Hopefully what happened to my shrimp doesnt happen to yours

7. Zoanthids21

Hmm..Bummer, i am hoping he comes out. He is soo cool!

8. Click Here!

9. Zoanthids21

So last night he came out finally! he looked great! He still has his arm and he definitely is bigger and very good looking after the molt