Pipefish experience anyone??

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by oldfishkeeper, Jul 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

this thread actually makes me want to get a pipefish someday.

Zgetman likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Me tooooo. lol

4. Click Here!

5. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

I have had mine about a month. I got three from my lagoon, one disappeared, the other two eat mysis, cyclop-ez, and pods. Oh and they live with my manderine, clowns, and four chromis. They really aren't bad swimmers, my big one (about 6'') swims right in front of my powerhead. [​IMG]
    I'll try to get a video later.

Corailline likes this.
  6. Click Here!

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Just so no one gets confused. That is not a Dragonface.;)
    Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
    Care Level: Difficult
    Temperament: Peaceful
    Reef Compatible: Yes
    Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
    Max. Size: 7"
    Color Form: Black, Pink, White, Yellow
    Diet: Carnivore
    Compatibility: View Chart
    Origin: Fiji, Indonesia, Tonga

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  8. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

So, does anyone know what puts the "care level" of difficult on them? Is it the feeding requirements? I can't imagine their sensitive to dirty water, since that "should" give them more food. That they might get torn up in a powerhead?

Just curious, I always see the care level and wondered where they get the specifics for that. "Care Level: Difficult" tells me little to nothing other than not to spend my money, cause their's something I don't know. However, I wish they had a code system, something for eats only live food, or needs better than good water quality. I guess the generalization from liveaquria could be a little more informative. Now, with that said, they already have an AWESOME website and details. I don't make any purchase without at least looking on LA at least once or twice, so it's helpful, I'm just being super picky.

Thanks!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nutrition and long term viability. It's going to take increased attention to detail with regard to abundance of food and intervention when you do notice those tell tale signs of starvation. They do fall victim to power heads as well.
    It's like Sea Horses, you just can not add them to any system with fish and think feeding once or twice a day is going to cut it.

Billme, Vinnyboombatz and zesty like this.
  10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

It's kinda the catch all to say, don't just go grocery shopping and then stop by and pick up a couple of pipefish on your way home... I always take the live aquaria advice seriously and it's stopped me many of times from buying a fish that I shouldn't have. So, I'm glad it's there, I've just always wondered how they come up with the rating.

Thanks!

Billme likes this.
  11. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

The only reason I got my pipefish, is my friend's dad has had wild seahorses for three years in a 29. I went out in the lagoon seining, and instead of seahorses I got opossum pipefish. My smallest pipe lives under my welso's folds. [​IMG]

zesty, Billme and Corailline like this.
  12. Click Here!

13. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That is one cool image!

14. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

That's awesome that he hangs out under such a cool coral!

How long have you had him? Any issues, pitfalls, advice, tips and/or tricks?

15. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

[QUOTE="BoB123, post: 1555853, member: 33595"]I have had mine about a month. I got three from my lagoon, one disappeared, the other two eat mysis, cyclop-ez, and pods. Oh and they live with my manderine, clowns, and four chromis. They really aren't bad swimmers, my big one (about 6'') swims right in front of my powerhead. [​IMG]
    I'll try to get a video later.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

16. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

Only had them a month, they have been eating pods, and cyclop-ez. They seem to get along fine with the other fish, even the clowns ignore them. If you have anemones, make sure there not near where the pipefish swim.

Corailline likes this.