Pipefish experience anyone??

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by oldfishkeeper, Jul 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Is a feeding station necessary? Seems like they just eat pods all day, like a mandarin, as their natural diet. Not sure how many they need compared to a mandarin though.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You are correct FA.Lots. Keeping them in a reef tank is not a good idea ime.They are poor swimmers and clumsy.Like Mandarins only pods of a certain size can be consumed.This makes possible food even harder to come by in a small tank.A species tank either of the proper size or dosed by weekly with fresh pods is the only way to keep them from starving unfortunately.I say go for it!!!!They are sooooo cool!!!!o_O

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Not sure about other pipefish, but Nicky's 60 gallon had a green spot mandarin that did great for 3 years until we broke it down and a dragon face pipe that did well for a year until the breakdown. We didn't target feed anything, but we intentionally kept areas of the tank where fish couldn't hunt (we used some balls of that plastic scrunch dish scrubbing stuff under the pot) so pods could grow.

The pipe seemed a stronger swimmer than folks said, but he was particular about flow and looked for a spot where the current brought stuff to him. We fed a blend of puréed shrimp, fish, oyster, cyclopeeze, mysis, dried phyto and dried zooplankton. I used a lot of dried phyto.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, that's interesting Vinny - when did you keep them in a reef tank? You know Vinny - we will never be the same type of hobbyist. I don't make fun of your methods.

6. oldfishkeeper

thanks so much for the experience information servillius!

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

How in the world did you get that out of his post?

Do want other people's recommendations or thoughts?

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well it's been since 2000 that I maintained them in a small public aquarium. Pipe fish have not changed since that time. Reef internet celebrity PaulB keeps them, but note he has lost some of his to power heads. If you are prepared to go into this as though you're stocking two mandarins, same mind set, you'll be more prepared. It's going to be a challenge, you'll have to feed or intervene daily. PaulB's tank is huge and older than dirt so that works in his favor.

11. Vinnyboombatz

No one is making fun of your methods Mindy. I am the type of hobbyist who believes now is the time for conservation not recklessness.
    I have access to an LFS and its employees that have been in buisness for over 30 years.I have a pretty good grasp of which animals die and which ones live from thousands of hobbyists and my own hands on experiences.I am trying to help people succeed and not watch there animals slowly wither and die. It can be a thankless job as some people take it personally.I am sorry I can't be all rainbows and gumdrops all the time . It hurts me to watch animals die so I do what I can to prevent that.IMO any animal listed as difficult by the people selling them should be left in the ocean.ime running the system is hard enough without adding animals we KNOW to be difficult.
    Here's a short summary from LA..

The Dragonface Pipefish is also called the Reeftop Pipefish, Messmate Pipefish, Network Pipefish, and Banded Messmate Pipefish. This fish has a long, slender body with a tiny, tubular mouth and a small pink tail. The body is cream colored with highly variable black, pink, and yellow markings. Each individual has a unique pattern, and some can be very striking and colorful. The South Pacific or Tongan Dragonface Pipefish has been scientifically identified as Corythoichthys haematopterus, and the Western Pacific or Indonesian fish as Corythoichthys intestinalis. Although there are slight differences in markings, these fish look very similar and are oftentimes hard to distinguish from one another. To complicate matters further, some ichthyologists suggest there are over 12 sub-species due to regional variation among these fishes.
    The Dragonface Pipefish is a poor swimmer and prefers to travel by sliding its body over substrate and live rock similar to the way a snake moves. The Dragonface Pipefish can also use its tail to loosely anchor itself to corals or rocks.

The Dragonface Pipefish is among the hardiest pipefish, but is difficult to keep due to its unusual feeding requirements. It normally prefers to eat only live copepods in a mature reef aquarium with plenty of live rock or macroalgae. An ideal diet to start this fish on is Nutramar Tigrio Bottled Live Copepods, and vitamin-enriched live baby brine shrimp. However, live baby brine should not make up the majority of its diet. Over time, the Dragonface Pipefish may become accustomed to eating frozen CYCLOP-EEZE®, small Mysis, and Nutramar Ova.

Looking for the best food to feed your Pipefish? We recommend AlgaGen Tisbe biminiensis.

After an elaborate courtship dance, the female will attach her adhesive eggs to the smooth area on the underside of the male's trunk. A pair will regularly mate in an aquarium if well-fed. Mature males have a smooth, flat brood patch on their underside with small skin flaps on both sides.

This social species is best kept in mated pairs or groups of its own kind in an aquarium that is 50 gallons or larger. It may be kept with small, shy fish such as small gobies, seahorses, dragonets, and firefish. Aggressive, territorial, or fast-moving fish do not make good companions. The Dragonface Pipefish is slightly more tolerant of corals and larger fish, but can be harmed by anemones and corals with strong stinging tentacles or corals that are large enough to consume it, such as brain corals. The Dragonface Pipefish can also be harmed by invertebrates such as crabs, large shrimp, and large clams, but will not harm ornamental shrimp or invertebrates.

This species of pipefish has been found to consume the dreaded micro-amphipod commonly referred to as "Red Bugs" that have now become prevalent in reef aquariums that contain Acropora coral. Red Bug infestations on Acropora corals have been shown to inhibit polyp extension and growth, while causing shifts or loss in coloration. After the pipefish is accustomed to the surroundings and tankmates in the reef aquarium, it will quickly seek out these red bugs as a food source.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  12. Vinnyboombatz

Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
    Care Level: Difficult
    Temperament: Peaceful
    Reef Compatible: Yes
    Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
    Max. Size: 7"
    Color Form: Black, Pink, White, Yellow
    Diet: Carnivore
    Compatibility: View Chart