Pipefish experience anyone??

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by oldfishkeeper, Jul 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hi All, well I took the plunge and ordered two dragon faced pipefish for my tank. I'm pretty excited as I've always admired these fish but have never kept them and I believe my tank is at a point with stocking and such that it's possible to keep them.

Any advice from anyone that has kept these beautiful creatures long-term??

zesty likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

4. oldfishkeeper

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Feeding is similar to Seahorses, however Pipefish, especially Dragon-Faced Pipefish, tend to crawl along the rocks or swim close to the rocks. Due to this they can handle more flow.
    That's all I know about them.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Wonderful fish in the right dedicated tank.

Make sure Mindy that the clowns are not out competing the Pipe fish for food. This is a slow passive fish (when hunting) that will not fare well in a tank with high flow and in the company of more aggressive fish types. I have seen them in reef tanks do fairly well but those were larger tanks that offered multiple areas with different flow types, large pod populations and the ability to hunt uninterrupted by more aggressive fish.

They are very cool though.

1.0reef, Billme, zesty and 1 other person like this.
  7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I wonder if you could have a feeding station? Something to keep those hungry hungry clowns away from their food. I think there was a guy on here who had one for his seahorses or something. I think I've seen people do this with mandarins, although that would be a different type of shape. heck, maybe just a inverted plastic bottle, similar to a fish trap, but for food? Have the ends open enough for the pipefish, but not the clowns. I don't have anything else, I'm sure someone with more xp will pipe in...

Those are awesome fish and I always stop and stare at them for a while.

You should see what you can do and try it!!!! it would be awesome OFK!

1.0reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

thanks for the replies all! I have been doing quite a bit of reading on keeping them and as 1.0 said, I was surprised reading that the dragon-faced can handle a bit more flow. I appreciate the information to keep an eye on my clowns - and I like the idea of a feeding station. One benefit to the clowns being in the nem is that they really stay near that section of the tank or toward the top at feeding time. The rest of my inhabitants are really pretty peaceful. I am going to trade in my giant bubble coral (I've been wanting to for a while and this will be a reason to) since it's so big and I really can't keep anything near it without it stinging it. The only other LPS I have is a frogspawn and a hammer - both are small. I think if I was ever going to try, now would be the time to do it.

Thanks for the positive karma zesty! you are always so upbeat - I love that!

zesty and 1.0reef like this.
  10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Seems like I read about a DIY feeding station for those type of fish. One that allowed them to eat but others couldn't get too it.
    Good luck and where's the pics?

11. oldfishkeeper

well, I don't have them yet - just ordered them. I was reading about them the other night and thought I'd go check out how much they cost. I signed up for a notice when they came back in stock and I got it yesterday :) I saw a feeder I'm going to try and duplicate. I will try and get pics as soon as possible.

zesty likes this.
  12. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

I love pipe fish. Good luck with them. It will be great to see your progress. one thing i read about them is that they like to be in pairs or groups. Maybe when my tank is established I will try to keep them.