Pinpoint pH Meter

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by JOER0178, Mar 24, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

i got it to stabalize but it still seens a little on the low side (7.96). i was thinking maybe w/ the pumps and owerheads i need a grounding probe, how can you test to see if you need a grounding probe

2. Click Here!

3. JOER0178

also does anyone know if the pinpoint salinity monitor is as good as a refractometer because i can get the pinpoint salinity monitor cheap (40 dollars) and it is continuous

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=JOER0178 link=board=General;num=1080139459;start=0#10 date=03/25/04 at 07:04:03]i got it to stabalize but it still seens a little on the low side (7.96).  i was thinking maybe w/ the pumps and owerheads i need a grounding probe, how can you test to see if you need a grounding probe[/quote]

Stick your finger in the water and see if you feel electricity!

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=JOER0178 link=board=General;num=1080139459;start=0#10 date=03/25/04 at 07:04:03]i got it to stabalize but it still seens a little on the low side (7.96).  i was thinking maybe w/ the pumps and owerheads i need a grounding probe, how can you test to see if you need a grounding probe[/quote]

I would trust the probe over the test kits.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=JOER0178 link=board=General;num=1080139459;start=0#11 date=03/25/04 at 13:10:51]also does anyone know if the pinpoint salinity monitor is as good as a refractometer because i can get the pinpoint salinity monitor cheap (40 dollars) and it is continuous [/quote]

These probes are fairly new so I have not heard anything one way or the other on them. But I love my refractometere.

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I too love my refractometer!

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I concur with Naut. Too new to say. But IMO one doesn't need to constantly monitor Salinity. So you plug it all in and ensure the prob and the power cord is not touching anything. Then you need to perform a water change. You have to remove the meter and set it up were you mix water. Not a big pain but all I have to do now is a few drops on my Refractometer and I'm done.

J

10. JOER0178

OK I MADE SURE THAT THE WIRES FOR THE pH METER WEREN'T TOUCHING ANYTHING AND I PLACED THE PROBE IN THE WATER AND IT WORKED GREAT, BUT THE NEXT DAY IT WAS BACK TO NOT WORKING CORRECTLY SO I CHECKED THE WIRES AND THEY STILL WEREN'T TOUCHING ANYTHING. I TOOK A CUP OF MY TANK WATER AND PUT THE PROBE IN THAT AND THE READING WAS NORMAL ( ALL THE WIRES IN THE SAME PLACE, JUST MOVED THE PROBE TO A CUP RIGHT NEXT TO SUMP). I PLACED IT RIGHT BACK INTO THE SUMP AND BACK TO THE PROBLEM. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THIS? I WAS THINKING ABOUT EITHER GETTING A GROUNDING PROBE TO SEE IF THAT HELPS, OR PUTTING THE PROBE IN THE OVERFLOW.

11. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Sounds like its more of a headache than an asset right now.Itll probably work great after you debug it.
    What about in the main tank in an inconspicuous location?

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Try to run the unit off a battery I think it's 9V.
    if that doesn't fix it, you could actually have stray Voltage in your tank.
    and a grounding probe would be a wise investment.
    You could also try to unplug one by one all your devises and see when the meter corrects itself.

J