Pinpoint pH Meter

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by JOER0178, Mar 24, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

I got the pinpoint pH meter yesterday, and i have been having some problems. 1st i cant seem to get the pH to stabalize in the calabration fluid, it hovers around 7 and 4 when i use the respective calabration fluid but will not stop moving. 2nd i put the probe in my aquarium after 30min of trying to calabrate it and the meter read between 4-5 even though in the calabration fluid it is close to the correct value, and when I use my test kit it reads 8.2. I figure everything in my tank would have long sence died if my pH was between 4-5 so there must be a problem w/ the meter and ideas.

Thanks
    Joe

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Joe did you get the AC adaptor for it?
    the probe is very sensitive to electromagnetic interfereance. Try to ensure the wires from the probe and power cord are not toughing any other wires.

J

4. JOER0178

yea i used the ac adaptor. i think that may be it because when i initially plugged it in away from the tank it wasn't touching anywires for sure and i placed it in the calabration fluid and it seemed to stabalize, then i moved it to the tank and it started going nuts, its probable touching the mass of wires i have back there. thanks jason

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

No prob.  I had the exact panic attack when I got mine.

J ;D ;)

6. JOER0178

im looking at the pH meter than the 2 clarks clowns having a good time, then back at the pH meter, then back at the clowns, thinking what the hell

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Your lights can have this effect on the probe also. If you have a sump this would be a better place to put the probe.

8. Click Here!

9. JOER0178

i have it in the sump but that it good to know, one less mistake i can make later

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

What is the effect on the pH if you run 18 watt light in your sump 24/7?

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I have only heard about the VHO lights effecting the probes or meters.
    And the meter manufacturer of mine and the same kind BoomerD has said that the reason his was showing 4 to 5 ph when testing the tank but not out side of the tank or near the light was cause but lights interfering with the electronic glass probe of that meter. He had also tested with the lights off and not an issue when done this way. I don't think those smaller light will interfere with the reading as they don't have that much electricity going to them.

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid