Pictures of Dirtiest River in the World

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah when I head down to my local beach and see trash I just grab what my two hands can hold and end up throwing it away. That situation there in Indonesia is very sad and it will take a lot of effort to clean it up, but anything can be accomplished.

2. Click Here!

3. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

this makes me sick. i havent read others posts yet, i just looked at the horrific footage of a kid pulling crap out of a garbage dump they call a river.

i cant fathom how poverty = dirty river? its not poverty that caused the dirty river, its the people not caring about what they do with their trash.

edit: or their just ignorant and know no better place to put their trash. i suppose they dont have a nearby 'garbage dump processing facility' like we have all over the place.

4. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Sorry Matt. I changed my post.

5. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

I heard Indonesia has one of the most diverse reefs in the world(Planet Earth, I think), and just imagining the effects that river could have on those reefs is sad. I wonder where they get clean water.

6. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

Wow I thought the New River just outside El Centro Ca was the worst! That river flows from Mexico to the US and is disgusting, all the industrial stuff from mexico runs off into that river then flows into Ca. This one takes the cake though!

7. lfckenya

lfckenya Spaghetti Worm

ok, lets get some things straight.if you look at the pictures most of the garbage/trash is plastics, such as containers/bottles etc. the poor people living alongside the river are NOT the cause of the trash in the river. they are poor. do you really believe they are the ones who have bought all those processed goods, used them, and thrown the empty containers into the river? the poor (squatters), are in boats sifting through the garbage trying to find any valuables and finding plastics/glass that can be recycled to make some money.
    the garbage originates from factories, further upriver, that dump their trash into the rivers. the squatters are merely living on land that no-one wants...right by the 'river'. so please, think before blaming the people living in a garbage dump trying to survive.
    just my thoughts, dont mean to pick a fight.

8. Click Here!

9. lfckenya

lfckenya Spaghetti Worm

10. slocal

slocal Doot!

The problem is the people of that country just polluting their own waters (Yellow River, Ganges River, Yangtze River as examples). Whether it be irresponsible government or downtrodden citizens, you can't place the blame on the rest of the world. It's an infrastructure problem.

I have more of a problem with the stronger countries trying to police the world because we live in a "better" example.

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

ohhh, sadd, man thays a river, just soo terrible...

12. lfckenya

lfckenya Spaghetti Worm

i wasnt placing the blame on the rest of the world, i fully believe that their government should have stepped in forcefully a looong time ago. i was merely pointing out that we (as developed nations....and not just the US....) do EXPORT trash to poorer countries who we KNOW have no way of properly disposing the trash because it is cheaper for US to export than properly recycle/dispose.