!PICTURES ADDED! Dead or Dieing Monti?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by JJL, Oct 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

My montipora , I believe is dieing. It has been brownish/white for a couple of days now since my light was left on for 3 days. I was away and my timer got messed up. Everything has been fine besides my monti. Is the monti doomed, or should I keep it in the tank? I dont want it to decay and affect params.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

My entire orange monti cap was brown and now it came back to orange and pinkish cause of my lights.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

As long as you can see flesh, it should have a chance of recovering. You may need to move it into a dimmer area for a while though, then slowly move it back once it regains color.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

A decaying/dying montipora will not affect your parameters unless it's in a pico or an extremely large piece.

They are sensitive to changes in lighting but will color back up given time if tissue is still present.

6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Cool! It sounds like mine can come back then.
    I will try to move it into the dimmest area of the tank and see how it does.
    Thnaks
    Thats good news! Tissue still seems to be present, but im not sure.....
    Thanks everybody!
    EDIT: Im not so sure that there is still tissue left on the coral.With closer examination I think the white part is actually the skeleton. The white part is bumpy and there appears to be no yellow or orange left at all on the white part with brown spots. I think the croal might be....gone. I will not take it out tonight though, and I will provide a picture tomorrow so you all can tell me whether it is alive or not. Are there any other ways to tell whether the coral has tissue left?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

visible signs of polyps
    not that easy to see on some Monti species (the ones with polyps the same colour as the main body are particularly difficult for me to see, unless my nose is pressed against the glass)

if its a bleached coral, but you can see extended polyps on the area, it should come around

get a macro image up, and hopefully we can see the presence of polyps

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

What do you think? I think its dead because there is now algae growing on it. But, let me know what you think. :/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jkhchris

jkhchris Astrea Snail

Sorry to say but it looks like a goner to me. Maybe wait for a few more opinions before you remove it. Algae growth usually only grows on the skeleton not live tissue.

Chris

11. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

yea that looks like its just the skeleton.. sorry for the loss!

12. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

:(
    I guess thats why eople buy controllers. I will wait for a few more opinions before I take it out of the tank.