Pics of our tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by hippychic, Jan 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

Hey thanks for all the tips!

I'll see if out pet shops sell base rock, and I think I'll give that a go, I can't believe how fast it spread to all your base rock Gazog! Your live rock looks so good! I have seen some live rock online, and it is a bit cheaper, but we don't have many websites in Australia that ship this kinda of thing, and you had to buy 20 kilos at once! That was a bit too much live rock at once for us, so we went for the buying it slowly from the pet shop option :)

Thanks for the powerhead tips too Wastemanagement. Your tank looks awesome too, by the way!

Our powerhead outlet can't be tilted or anything, so if I point it at the front of the tank it's going to be at a 90 degree angle, straight ahead, we can't point it up or down either. We thought maybe the water would just come straight back at it, and not circulate around the tank, will it not do this? Or do you know of another way we can make the water flow at more of an angle?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

from the looks of your set up (milk crate rock support) you seem to be quite handy im sure that if you put your mind to it you will come up with somthink.

Just a idea but maybee you can cable tie the P/H into the corner of the create at a 45* angle?

were in OZ are you from

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great start Hippychic, looks good. Remember to go slow and if you have any Q's, dont hesitate to ask. Good luck

5. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

Oh thats a really good idea about the cable ties, I didn't think of that.

Oh and it's not me thats the handy one with the milk crates, thats my boyfriend! Luckily we're doing this together, cause if it was just me I don't think there would be a very interesting rock formation there at all!

I hold the milk crates while he cuts them with the hack saw! If that's even what the tool is called! hehehehe, so I help.... somewhat :)

I'm in Canberra, Australia, theres only about 300,000 people living here, so we don't have much choice in fish shops :( But Sydney is only a 2 and a half hour drive away, so MUCH more choice there! We might start making day trips down to pick up goodies from the Sydney fish shops!

6. edmlfc1

edmlfc1 Plankton

Please forgive me for hijacking your thread............
    Can you use pices of dead coral as base rock? I have a bucket of coral, random size pieces and was wondering if that could be used instead of buying actual base rock.
    Thanks

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

what do you think live rock is made of?mostly reef building stoney corals,lps,sps,dead and then more grow on top until you have a rock made of coral skeletons.dead coral makes fine base rock.i prefer tuffa cause it has more pores in it but it takes longer to get coraline than dead reef bones.

8. Click Here!

9. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

What does lps and sps mean?

10. WFOgixxer

WFOgixxer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

LPS stands for 'large polyed stony' and SPS for 'small polyed stony'

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

lps and sps are corals that have a calcium skeleton and leave theit skeletons behind when they die.they are what the reefs and live rock are made of.dead coral skeletons and many layers of coraline and anything else that grows on them