[PICS]Koralia mod: Cutting out every other "bar" from the grate cover

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Va Reef, Jan 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Dont get me wrong im not saying fish are dumb enough to go get themselves chopped up but it is a security measure less if you pester with the grid.

I dont know my 2 cents

2. Click Here!

3. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Hmm...I have 2 koralia evolutions in my 75 gal. 1 is a 750 the other 1400... I'm tempted to try this.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Yeah, that's where I got the idea from!
    DO IT, post pics and let us know how it goes :)
    To each their own. No one is saying you are wrong :). If you have fish that have grown accustom to sleeping near powerheads (clowns maybe?) or grazing near the powerhead (tangs?) I wouldn't advise doing this if the pumps run on a wavemaker like mine.
    You can always start with one, see what you think, wait a week or so and try the other. Post pics if you do.

5. Swisswiss

Voilà, what i witnessed today. Feeding time fish are eager. Poor the food in the tank, my toby was close to my tunze pump. The pump turned on for the brief time it does (about 3 seconds) toby got sucked to the pump cage and was unable to break from the suction till the pump turned off.

Nothing was done intentionally to make this happen, but accidents do happen.
    With that being said with the "every other bar" rule i doubt he would have suffered any tissue damage from the propeller

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Oh wow. I assume the toby is alright? Tobies aren't the strongest of swimmers :/

Idk about your tunze, but my K-nanos with 1 out of 3 bars cut out, don't have room to fit much more than a small clown goby, so I'm not worried about my huge royal gramma.

Thanks for sharing the experience though. It'll help others to really think if they should do it or not.

7. Swisswiss

yeah the toby is fine no damage. I'm sure had he actually felt pain he would have been able to jolt free from the suction.