*Pics* Building stand bigger than tank to hold bigger sump, Help....

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Stingray, May 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

Finish nails will work fine. You'll use less wood filler when filling counter sunk finish nails vs. screws.
    Search the forums about the foam. There was something a while back on the topic, but I don't remember what was said.

2. Click Here!

3. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Finish nails it is then, gonna buy the trim also,
    i read the styrofoam acts has a vibration mat and evens out any uneven iregularities, carpet can be used too so i may use that,

I looked up epoxy paint etc and its way to expensive, is there any cheaper alternatives, what about gloss paint and then seal the joins with sealant for a splash proof finish ?

what do most do

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Be careful with carpet. I imagine a few water changes will have it smelling foul.

5. Stingray

if not carpet is there anything else, and is it important that i use it,
    my existing tank has none just sits on a flat surface,

Is this ok to paint my stand with
    [​IMG]

6. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

For paint I would just use a good outdoor paint + primer. You could put some paintable caulking in the joints if you wanted and then paint everything.

The varnish in your pic will work with most stains and on bare wood.

7. Stingray

Thanks Dusty
    Would the Ron seal varnish be ideal for my stand I can match it to my wooden floor if so
    Than maybe seal the cracks with sealant
    Would that work

8. Click Here!

9. Stingray

I took some more pics of the bottom of my new tank, is there anything i should do before placing it in its final resting place?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Progress so far, plywood attached and weir hole cut
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt Rogers likes this.
  10. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

The stand is looking good.
    I'm not familiar with Ronseal but it looks like it will work. If you are using that I wouldn't use any sealant in the joints. When you brush the varnish on just work it in the seams really good and it will seal them.
    Have you checked the bulkheads to make sure they don't leak? It would be easier to replace them before it goes on the stand.

11. Stingray

Will start painting it with the ronseal shortly, then will come up with the door plans,

The bulkheads have not been tested yet, but i plan to test them in my yard, i will stand it upright and insert the pipes, then fill the weir with water, fingers crossed they should be fine

Im happy with the tank, but thank god i had a mitre saw i was in and out the back yard all day trying to get the pieces spot on in length, there is minute movement within the spirit level but i take it as long as its within the 2 lines its good to go.

12. Stingray

Need to know, at present the stand is lined with 1/4" plywood top and bottom, before I stain it would I be better to replace it with thicker plywood maybe 3/4" to 1" thick adding a sturdier more flatter surface and then place Styrofoam on top before tank,
    The tank is 62 us gallon rimless or 50 UK gallons