[pics]Anemone Problem possibly?[pics]

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by yptozmy, Nov 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Hi guys,

I made a thread earlier today in regard to what appeared to be a problem with my anemone.
    Attached below are 2 pictures. 1 of my anemone and 1 of my tank setup. The anemone has about 1-3 tentacles that either have a black end that seems to be burned or are kinda "flat".

Also, just a newbie question, but are they supposed to get smaller when the light dims and bigger with the HO and Ascentics on? My tank has been running for about 4 months. I know your not supposed to get an Anemone until year 1 has passed, but this thing has been doing excellent in my tank up until now. I've had people come in from the LFS and test all my parameters and bacteria growth. So I don't think that's the problem here...

Current Setup: 29 Gallon, 250W lighting, 2x Acentic and 2x HO, with LED moonlights, CPR Protein Skimmer, with about 20-25lbs of live rock. 4 fish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

I would like to add, either I am mentally slow or my anemone hates shrimp, but I can NEVER get it to eat shrimp. I've used all the methods of feeding it the shrimp, but it WONT grasp onto it.

I think it has to be smaller pieces maybe?

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I told you earlier that your lighting isn't enough. I didn't fully understand your set-up until I saw the pictures. You definitely have enough light. How long have you had the anemone?

5. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Haha, no worries - I've actually been told the light is too much :p. Um, I've had it for about 4 weeks maybe? It was doing excellent the first 4 weeks, as it was nice and plump.

6. mikejrice

As it looks now I would say it's expelling waste. The fact that it doesn't take food is concerning though. Touch the tentacles to see if they feel sticky. If they do I would say it doesn't like what your serving. If they are not it could be going down hill.

7. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Sticky? How can I feel that under water, everything feels the same. I mean, it's not showing signs of bleachness yet.

Also, kinda random - but this morning, it looked picture perfect, the entire body was nice and round and all the tentacles had the bulby thing at the top, with nice coloring.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

They will still feel a little sticky even under water. It's the way it feels when its barbs are in your skin trying to eat you lol. I really think it's just expelling waste. Give it at least until tomorrow before you get too worried.

By the way for only being under your lights for 4 weeks it has very nice coloration. Most come in bleached and need to be nursed back to health.

10. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Haha thanks - I'll let you know what happens tomorrow evening.

Thanks again for all your help! :)

11. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

hows it doing?

12. Dairy

Dairy Astrea Snail

I have three, anyway, one of mine hated shrimp, I had to hand feed it tiny pieces of raw scalllops, it loves that! and I mean one scallop lasts a good month!lol, he is a beautiful color, mine was completely white when I bought it, thinking it was so nice, goes to show how much we think we know sometimes!lol