Pico corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by cwilk1213, Nov 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cwilk1213

cwilk1213 Plankton

Newbie question... what is GSP? Haha I have had plenty of saltwater and freshwater experience with keeping fish but not as much experience keeping corals.

2. Click Here!

3. reret10

reret10 Plankton

I would say that that i sufficent lighting for most of the LPs coral that you may want. just make sure you dont get any with sweeper tenticals. if ur going to petco make sure you do a ton of research before you get anyhting because they dont always have the best information ever.

4. reret10

reret10 Plankton

G.S.P. green star polyps

5. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

That's correct, to an extent. Generally, higher wattage per LED= higher output.

I've got numerous zoas, mushrooms, xenia, gsp and caulastrea. Add far as high light corals, I have a birdsnest, montipora capricornis and spongodes that are doing great. I've also got an experimental acro that I picked up in the $19.99 bin at my local lfs that seems to be doing fine.

Also, PM me if you need a cheap light.

6. cwilk1213

cwilk1213 Plankton

Yeah, Petco is not my main source I just went there while I was home from school to get the goby. There's only one guy that seems to know what he's talking about. Their corals look horrible though and so do most of their fish haha. But anyways I am kind of skeptical about my light because I had to mount it on the back of my filter to get it to fit because it technically is a refugium light with a 50/50 bulb and I feel like it is not blue enough.

7. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

I believe he means Large Polyp Stony coral

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Correct you measure with PAR and PUR.
    IMO Par38s are a great choice. Ledtric, Rapidled, and Bright aquatics all make great ones. Make sure they are full spectrum, also the edges may be kinda dark (About 2-3 inches on each side) so put low light corals like mushrooms in that area. :)

10. cwilk1213

cwilk1213 Plankton

Thanks for all the replies guys, I recently paid a visit to the LFS here and picked up some coral ;D I got two frags of Zoas, and the guy talked me into getting a frag of a war coral... I like it I'm just undecided on it haha. I'm gonna try to put some pictures up soon though.

11. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

Nice choices, I would supplement by feeding it if you want it to grow faster. Also be careful to leave some space, they have sweeper tentacles that extend after the lights go out that can sting other corals. Congrats on the new additions.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

just FYI, hold your cursor over acronyms and alot will pop up;

GSP
    LPS
    SPS