Pickupman66's Simplified, downsized 66 gallon SCA Rimless

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Pickupman66, Jul 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Thank you. I feed PE Mysis and I think Emerald Entree. and Formula 2 Flakes. Nothing special really. Oh and LRS reef Frenzy for a treat.

2. Click Here!

3. Altoonasoup

Altoonasoup Plankton

Beautiful tk. I just got one like it with a homemade stand in the process of setting it up , hope it turns out as nice as yours !!

Pickupman66 likes this.
  4. Pickupman66

Thank you. it has been a fun road with this one.

5. Pickupman66

Short video of the tank from earlier this month. It is really happy right now.

and one of the anemones.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. Jim Bonds

Jim Bonds Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Looks great! I love the scape.

7. Pickupman66

So I have not updated this for quite some time. So I have not updated this for quite some time. Here is a very short update with some new eye candy that I got at the Nashville frag swap this past weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few zoanthids the torch and he Duncan are the other new additions.
    [​IMG]

My derasa is now one year old. It looks fantastic

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

If you had seen this torch before you will notice it looks much larger now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

DSC reef likes this.
  10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Looking great pickup. That's great growth on that torch. Those clams are awesome

11. Pickupman66

OK, So I owe you guys a true update on the tank. Will not be much in the photos here but we will see what we can do.

In August of 2015 we decided it was in our best interest to sell our house that we have been in for the last 5 years. It was a great house and we LOVED it, but due to some situations with a particular neighbor, we felt the Lord was telling us it is time to move on and build our dream house on our property. So that was the plan.... The week before Christmas we finally got an offer on our house (showings were slow) that we were willing to accept and we slated to close on Feb 12th. We looked for Rental houses and such around the area and drew up the final plans for our new home. However, that all changed when our realtor called us to look at a house that was 75% finished. what the heck... So we looked at it and fell in love. it checked all of our boxes in both location (that we didnt think of) and in the layout and the way the house was finished. So... we bought it. Closing on March 1st. YIKES!!! now what? So we decided to move in with mom and dad for a few weeks meaning that the Tank will need to be moved TWICE in 4 weeks. OMG.

SO now on to the tank. Prior to first move I planned everything I could. we took the water system to dads house a week early and filled up the 50 gallon drum. once it was full, I heated and salted the water. On move day, we bagged the loose corals, put the rocks in various ice chests and covered with water and put the fish in separate buckets. everything fit in one load opn the truck and trailer. Tank and sump in the bed with everything else in the trailer. once at the new house, the wife and I stacked the rocks back up. the best part is i only have maybe 8 rocks in the tank. Two very large pieces that occupy the entire top surface (took up an entire 110 qt igloo) and then 6 or so medium sized rocks. Once the rocks were stacked we used the water in the bin and filled up 50 of the 80 or so gallons. then we used the rest from either the fish buckets or the three buckets of old water we took with us. For the hanging light we just made a little stand for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SO there it was. In MOM and DADS house huming along. looked great. then BOOM Cyano bloom. Big time. YUCKY. well since we were moving in a month Oh well. tank ran decently there at moms house for 4 weeks. then we did the same exact process at the new house. Fortunately we had just done it and it worked out so well.

So on the new house move, we broke the green hammer in the lower front middle. other than that, NO CORAL or fish losses. We moved the tank into the new house March 5th and the clownfish have already begun to lay eggs again.

here it is in the new house.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I traveled for the next three weeks to no chance to attend to the tank and the Cyano was back with a vengance. Finally weekend before last, I decided to Chemiclean it and did jus tthat successfully. it timed right with a water change so we made 20 gallons of saltwater and did a nice big water change after the treatment. the Cyano is gone and everything tests perfectly.

last weekend was the annual MTRC frag swap so the things I photographed in the previous posts were things I picked up for the tank. I traded them for three of the BTA anemonees and the broken piece of green hammer. (plus a little cash)

So the location of the new tank is in the loving room of our new house. Directly behind it is a closet that was deemed the fish closet so I get to stash my ATO, all accessories and plan to move my controller system into the closet as well. Once I do that, then I can completely finish the stand in the same skins as you see on the front. Hopefully by summer I will tackle this.

I am still running the Archon Controller and it is working perfectly. So worth it for me.

OK, there you have it. I will see if I can get my act together and take some good photos with the nikon.

DSC reef and Corailline like this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well that is quite the update.

With regard to the algae, I have moved my tank 3 times in 1 year. Every time the algae starts to die off I move it again and dang back to algae.

Big LPS.