pickling lime instead of kalkwasser

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by skennelly, Dec 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;D

2. Click Here!

3. Sndwave80

Sndwave80 Bristle Worm

I use it and very nice link! Thanks

4. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

You are the best. I just saved a ton. Went to Ace Hardware and bought a huge bag of Hydrated lime for $11.32!! Karma for you!!:thumb_up:

5. wayne44

wayne44 Astrea Snail

is the Mrs. Wages dill pickle mix the same as the lime it dont say lime or spice on the pack it just says "dill pickle mix" and its a orange greenish color when mixed I have'nt used it yet I poured it out I wanted to make sure I had the right stuff first

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

You probably have a spice mix. Pickling lime is a white powder and mixes up clear with a little bit of white sediment at the bottom of the container. The ingredient list should say Calcium Hydroxide as the only ingredient.

7. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Nope. It is definitely not the same thing.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Dill lime is not hydrated lime well it is but has dill flavoring's in it and salt ever ate a dill pickle ? You want hydrated lime . It will say Ms. wages pickling lime no dilling anywhere on the label

10. wayne44

wayne44 Astrea Snail

ok I had some kalk so I used it i'll get me some though I hope it will raise my KH too I have a problem with that usually runs 6.4 on Salifert test i'm using Oceanic salt and it has great calcium and mag. but the alk is usually low

11. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

You can find it at walmart and sometimes at k-mart.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If you want to kick the Kh up get some arm and hammer baking soda and some boraxo 20 mule team laundry booster aka borate mix 1 part laundry booster to 4 parts arm and hammer baking soda and does that.. will bring up Kh and Ph as Kh or DKH is where the Ph readings are controlled and ruled by. But you have to test the ca and Magnesium also and there in may be your problem Ca is high dkh is low because the Magnesium is low ..

As for a liquid test for Ph forget it Ph really means little and it all depends on time of day it was tested . You get the dkh up then the Ph will be there as after all Ph is nothing more then an indicator of lack or presence of carbonates available to the water to off set acids .

1 person likes this.