pickling lime instead of kalkwasser

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by skennelly, Dec 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FSTOCK

FSTOCK Plankton

That's 6 tsp. per gallon.. correct?
    The reason why I ask is because I found several sources saying to use 2 tsp.
    per gallon of RO/Di.
    Now I'm confused!

2. Click Here!

3. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Think you're confusing units of measure. 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon so 6 teaspoons would be the same as 2 tablespoons.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Seems so don't it :)

1 person likes this.
  5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

All I know what has worked well for me and anyone who used this amount.. 2 tsp per gallon I doubt would make a very strong solution. You can't mix to much or it will not get into solution. I'm going to all the trouble to mix it I want a full mix and what won't go into solution just falls out But that fall out has locked up and holds Phosphates and silicates better then any PO4 media will. I've been mixing it like this for more years then I want to remember any longer. Besides its plenty cheap to use , Also I use a reactor for the last 10 yrs that I designed so I don't have to mix it anylonger I just keep that filled and all My makeup water passes through the Lime reactor 24/7 before entering the sump

7. dave1nc

dave1nc Plankton

I am currently using B Ionic and I purchased the following setup to start a drip (top off). Appalachian Reef - DIY Kalkwasser Doser I was going to do a RO DI to top off evaporated water and the 2 part supplement in separate containers; however tt appears your DIY is more cost effective.

Does dripping the Pickling Lime also maintain Alkalinity? Also do you need CO2? My guess would be no, but wanted to make sure.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

so...instead of using the Kent's parts A & B all I need to use is mrs wages?? I have a big "jug" f that stuff and know where to get plenty more...nice thing about small farm communities, some store is always gonna carry canning supplies! Will using that take care of the alk too?? you still need to add calcium to the tank or is this what this stuff does? I'm confused too...

10. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

pickling lime is calcium hydroxide so you do not have to add calcium or buffer. the ph of the lime is like 12 so no need to worry about ph. Kalkwasser breaks down (calcium and hydrogen ions) to create calcium-hydrogen-carbonate. there is your buffer part here is another article i found on kalkwasser.

Kalkwasser in the aquarium - Algone.com

11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

FSTOCK..I think you are correct, unless Tangster meant 2 teaspoons(tsp.) instead if the 2 tablespoons(Tbsp) he wrote.....??? I'd like to know too! My m-i-l gave me a jug of mrs. wages. Do you top off every day Tang? How often/how much? A good tester set would be a good idea too right? (I have)

09-18-2007 08:50 AM FSTOCK Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tangster [​IMG]
    2 large tbl spoons to the gallon of R.O D.I water

I didn't follow the link back, just pointed out where he quoted you.. Is it Tablespoons or teaspoons?

Tang:confused:

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Mix two Table spoons into a gallon of R/O D,I water let it settle out to the bottom and use the clear liquid after the stuff settles I would mix it at 5 gals at a time and let It set longer it sets more Phosphates it will bind up..Stir it slowly to not mix any air as that will lower the strength of the mix, if the CO'2 mixes in to the brew..Also cold or cooler water will also absorb more from the mix ten room temp water.. Never use the old sediment again always use fresh Hydrated lime aka Kalkwasser or Pickling lime.. Also look at a Lowes or some place like thast they have 50 lb of hygrated lime powder for lawns even cheapier then the P/Lime as its not food grade..Like 4.00 a bag