Pickles Clowns

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Pickle010, May 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

He is a man's dog that's for sure - won't leave my side. Goes to bed when I do and doesn't get up until I do. I think we are going to be friends.

My other is a regular ocellaris pair. The male in that pair is a place holder until one of my baby snows grows out enough to pair up with the female.

I also have a pair of picasso's and fancy whites but they are much too young to start spawning yet so I don't count them as brood stock. Right now all they do is eat.

I am looking at getting a pair of Darwins that are currently breeding - I would love to match up one of my snows with a Darwin.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ok last question. :)

How old is the male usually when they begin to spawn? I would think the male can be significantly younger than the female.

4. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

You are correct - while the female needs to be generally over 2 years and 2.5 inches - the male can start fertilizing the eggs as early as 6 months of age.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Hey pickle, do you have any suggestions to encourage spawning? I have had a starter pair to get some experience. They consist of an occ and a perc paired up for about 2 years now. The male perc was young when I got it but the female was already fairly large.
    They have shown no interest in spawning yet... Any suggestions here?

I have had great success with wrasses in getting a few different species spawning before.

6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Romantic music perhaps "under the sea", a cocktail and not your shrimp. LOL. I couldn't pass it up buddy. Mine spawn like every 2-3 weeks. I'd love to see if I could save them.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Here's a snapshot of this batch of eggs layed. It was always on the rocks, but the anemone moved, so it layed them on the back glass behind it. There was a lot more last night.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you want to increase your chances of them spawning.

Increase the lighting period.

Feed, feed, feed........Good foods, fatten that female up....

Was there something about the SG too Pickle?

10. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

There are few areas that you can focus on to bring a pair to spawn - I have "Guide to Breeding Clowns" over on N-R and I cover it all in that guide found here: Pickle’s Guide to Breeding Clowns - Nano-Reef.com Forums

1 person likes this.
  11. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Mine do like a good Barry White session. :-X

12. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

The nest does look a little thin and scattered - that's from either your male eating some of the eggs or your pair not being fed well enough. Feed a high protein diet and feed often. Well fed pairs lay large nests with big eggs that will have the best chance of survival and are much easier to raise.