Pickles Clowns

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Pickle010, May 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Pickle010 great job you did. I tried pairing my domino Clownfish with a black ice with no luck. They showed zero interest in each other,I chose to keep the domino and returned the black ice. I have since added a black misbar Darwin to be his mate and they have been inseparable since. So hope you have some better luck pairing the snow with a Darwin. Mine showed no interest in each other. That's my experience with black clowns.

2. Click Here!

3. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

I have had several tanks in the past but took them down when I moved to CO for school. Now that I have finished with school I am looking to get back into the game.

4. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

That's good to know... I'm getting a pair of Darwins here soon.... but I'm going to go ahead and get them started and won't try to swap the male until she is spawning consistently.

Something I noticed when trying to pair - when I have a female that is spawning or ready to spawn, she shows little if any interest in a juvenile male. But if I pair her with a larger male the female is more readily accepting. I can only assume that she percieves the inability of the juvi to fertilize her eggs as a flaw.

5. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

Congrats!

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Oh yeah... he was real bummed about the loss of the male.
    Not sure when you spoke with him last but since then he has paired one of the offspring with the female and they had a few batches... then one day the female just decided she didnt like the male anymore and she killed him lol!
    He has been introducing new "half photon" males to her now with interesting white patterns but she kills most of them. The black is still being expressed so they look just like the originals, except with varying stripe patterns now.

7. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Yeah - it's shame - I heard he was having a hard time pairing them. I hope he get's her accept another one soon. Those are some awesome clowns.

8. Click Here!

9. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Well things are progressing nicely on the home front - hatch number 8 coming tonight - It's a good thing I keep a log of my hatches or I would of missed this one. I had Sunday in my head for some reason and thought for sure it was tomorrow. Anyhow, I'm ready for the hatch and I'm going to try 100% new SW for the fry tank this time. I've been using less and less parent tank water and I'm curious to see how it goes without it this time around.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thanks for the update Pickle,

So how many breeding pairs do you currently have?

Are you mixing your own SW and how long do let it mix before you use it, lastly what type of saltmix?

TIA.

11. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

I'm down to two pairs - I just sold my GSM's to a guy that is starting out. They are great to learn on because once you can breed GSM's you can breed most any kind of clown.

I am mixing my own salt water - I go through about 40 - 50 gallons a week so it doesn't get to sit for long. I'm using Instant Ocean - since I'm not keeping corals there really isn't any point of using a more expensive mix.

In other news I went to a guys house last week to pick up some stuff from a tank tear down he was doing - LR and some miscellaneous stuff and wound up taking this guys home as well:

[​IMG]

I think he is going to outgrow my tank fast though!

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

LOL,

Too funny, you must have a small zoo by now. Hope he likes horses.

WOW two pairs. Hmm so the Snows and what else? Must have been a little hard to part with those GSM, but the replacement has pretty eyes, he looks like a lover.