Pickles Clowns

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Pickle010, May 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

I'm excited to see their fry!

2. Click Here!

3. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Yeah... I'd be pretty excited too... but I think they are at least a year away from spawning. Who knows though - maybe once I get them in the new brood stock system the activity in the other tanks might get them thinking.

1 person likes this.
  4. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

Gorgeous clowns man, my fav fish! i too would also be very interested in a pair of snowflakes at some point, thats what i have planned for in my 29 and i dont want any from my lfs because they never look nice like yours do! so i guess until i get a pair that tank will remain fishless haha!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Pheromones, visual, or conditions or a combination of all three. Seriously, :) Are clownfish more likely to spawn in the presence of other spawning clownfish.:confused:

6. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I had a pair of occ's that didn't spawn till I had them in a system tied together with my spawning clarkii's.

7. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Thanks for the compliments all...

And Coralline, yes... it's been documented and some pairs will even get on the same spawning cycle.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

You have an awesome thing going. Very exciting. For someone just looking into thinking about breeding clowns, so you recommend buying a mated pair already, or does that really matter? My wife and I are really interested in breeding clowns, but we are still in the learning phase by all means.

10. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Sorry I didn't see this earlier - don't think to check my own thread. I know you guys already have your clowns but there are things you can do to speed things along.

I had a spawning Ocellaris which are pretty inexpensive and then purchased the juvi snow flakes. I practiced on the Ocellaris hatches until my male snow was old enough to fertilize eggs and I swapped out my male O with my male snow.

So essentially I had hatches almost immediately from the O pair and about 6 - 8 months later I was able to start hatching snowflakes.

Buying a pair of Juvi's is cheaper but requires a lot of patience as it will take them a couple of years before the female is ready to spawn.

In personal news I've been on a hiatus from hatching as I've run into problems with my rotifer culture - after almost 2 years of keeping my rots going they started to die off on me and no matter what I did the numbers kept dropping.

I got a hold of reeds and they stated that they didn't have any issues with the feed so the problem must of been something on my end. I went through and checked everything mixed fresh salt water and ordered a new batch of rots. Well 3 days later I was back to the same problem. I called reeds and they took care of me. The replaced my feed, my rots and even tossed in a sample of new food. Almost a week later and my rots are thriving like they did before the problem I had.

I missed 3 or 4 hatches but now things are back on track and I'm just waiting for my pair to spawn again so I can get going again.

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is some really good information. We are lucky enogh to be coming into some money, so we might be able to get everything set up here in thwe next month or so. I think i will look into get a cheaper mated pair of clowns to pratice raising the fry on like you did. I am happy to hear that you got your rots back thriving. There is just so much to learn.
    Mozilla/4.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; en-us; Sanyo; NetFront/3.5.1/AMB) Boost SCP6760

12. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Im crazy jeliouse man nice to meet you