Pickles Clowns

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Pickle010, May 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

Good work buddy!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Say what????;D

4. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Thank you Sir! I'm pretty stoked to have another good producing pair.

inorite? It's just crazy.

5. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Here is a video of my set up and how I ran it for the last year... I only documented it to remember it because it is all changing soon!

Any how here it is - don't laugh!!!

‪VIDEO0001‬‏ - YouTube

6. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

My thoughts, precisely.

Awesome setup and execution. Why change though? If it works, don't break it.

7. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

It was set up quickly and on a budget - I always wanted my brood stock tanks plumbed into a sump. As they sit now, I can only keep the 3 pairs active, I use 3 power heads, 3 heaters, 3 clumps of cheato and only one is skimmed.

Once I combine them I'll be able to keep 6-12 active pairs and have 1 maybe 2 heaters, a central refugium and have an appropriate skimmer.

I'll also be able to run a single ATO and keep all my tanks much more stable. I could go on... there are several reasons to do it.

You're right - it isn't broke - but it could be a whole lot better.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Holy cow Pickle you have a lot snow flakes.

Nice to see the system, I have been curious to see what you did with that monster after you got it.

So it looks like algae in moderation is a good thing or just unavoidable secondary to the amount of feedings, or both?

10. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

It really is two fold -

Yes it is a by product of the heavy feedings and warmer temps - it's just a haven for algae. Again, without a sump, the additional water volume, a skimmer and filter sock to catch uneaten foods it is a war you can not win.

However that being said, I've come to the realization that with frequent water changes I can still maintain the water quality even with the algae in the tank.

Now most of my pairs have spawned after the sides of the tank turn green - I don't know if that triggers something that leads them to believe that there will be food for the fry or not but for whatever reason with the last 4 pairs that I've tried to mate they've all started to spawn after that point in the process.

Even when I pull tanks and thoroughly cleaned them the pairs stop spawning and restart once the algae kicks in - I know it could be coincidental as disturbing a pair or changing things up in their tank can cause them to take a break.

So my hope with the new system is to have an easier time maintaining the tanks.

11. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

12. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Wow. Awesome set up. I will be looking to breed clowns this winter. I may have some questions to ask you!