Picasso Triggerfish or Porcupine Puffer? Info needed.

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by We$, Aug 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

So I have the tank in my sig. My question was should I get a trigger or puffer? I don't have many invertabrets just a few snails and one hermit but I do have soft corals, ricordeas, zoas, toadstool, etc. I've read that puffers will eat soft corals but it depends a lot on the individual. I'd rather have a puffer I think but let me know your guys experience.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

ure inverts will become lunch with either one really

4. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

I figured that, I may give the snails to my buddy I don't have algae and they always mess up my nori feedings.

What about anemones?

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would say your tank is way to small for the puffer they grow to a foot in length. Also you will probably be sorry if adding a trigger. They are notorious for rearranging the aquascape and are a nightmare in reef tanks.They also get 10 inches and to me would get too large and mean.:cry:

6. Taylor

Taylor Astrea Snail

Definitely go with the puffer, he/ she will become part of your family. Mine never touched any corals ..:)

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Just because 1 person got lucky does not make their experience the norm.

Agreed 100%.

I had both in a FOWLR tank before, and both were notorious for biting chunks out of the LR and SPS skeletons. Not something I would want in a reef tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Jva

Jva Astrea Snail

I had a Picasso for a long time and he was my favorite fish. They take on a fun personality, sort of like a dog, where they'll eat right out of your hand and whatnot. I guess I'm a little biased but I suggest the trigger. I think it's mostly up to preference at this point. Did I mention my tank was a coral tank? I had no shrimp/hermits but I did have snails. Good luck!