Picasso trigger

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Guest, Nov 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

::) any one have a picasso trigger in a reef setup i want to know the sucsess rate i hear they arent reef safe is this true.

2. Click Here!

3. aseidman00

aseidman00 Astrea Snail

don't do it. I have heard of one case where it worked our, but more likely it will chew at your coral, eat you inverts and chew up most of the fish you would put into a reef tank !

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Triggers are not reef safe.

As aseideman00 said they will harass fish and are extremely territorial with a viciuos set of teeth. They will eat crabs, snails, and ornamental shrimp as those are part of their natural diet. As they grow and can get quite large, they may even nip the hobbiest as you try to clean the tank.

These are great fish in a large fish only tank filled with fish that are of similar disposition. A big/bad boy tank if you will.

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

As soon as someone says it can't be done, someone will have a story about how great it worked it their own tank. With that said i would stay away from the Picasso. Most triggers will pick at your corals and they will grind your live rock looking for bugs. Not to mention aggression which usually doesn't work in the reef. I have seen the Niger work but still would be hesitant to recomend it without knowing the other tankmates.
    Good luck

6. QTYPIE424

QTYPIE424 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yes I must agree they are not reef safe. I have one and found out first hand after my star polyp starting dying off and didnt know why. The guy who sold it to me didnt know what he was talking about. He told me it was reef safe and would not harm my other fish. Soon as I found out about the picaso niger i removed it and put it in another tank. I think it is a beautiful fish but not very friendly. I am now looking for other fish to put in with it.
    Q

7. dragonflylures

dragonflylures Flamingo Tongue

I have a Niger trigger in a reef setup with shrimp, crabs, snails etc and it works -- just because he was first and hasn't bothered anything but I would never try it again. I've seen him snatch 1 hermit crab in 2 years but if he goes after anything else he will be finding a new home -- very cool but getting very large as well

8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

There are a few triggers that are RELATIVELY REEF SAFE. The Pink Tail trigger, Blue Throat trigger, Cross Hatch trigger and Niger Trigger to name a few. I would never trust these with shrimp and they all need big tanks, 125g or larger.
    I just bought a 1 1/2" Picasso for my 120g knowing that I will have to trade it in once it gets bigger. Its got alot of personality and doesnt back down from my 6" Purple Tang which drives the Tang nuts because he is the ruler of the tank.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Every fish is different in terms of temperment and personality! You may get lucky however, if not you could have a set up a very nice and expensive dinner for your Trigger!

11. TheDuck

TheDuck Fire Worm

I had one. He rearranged the tank to his liking and ate my cleaning crew! ...well, most of it. The two hermit crabs he didn't eat were just hunkered down under a rock, fearing for their lives.

I just traded him in today for an Ocelaris Clown.

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Beautiful fish for a fish only tank IMO for peace of mind not having to wonder what is going to get eaten each and every day! $$$$$$$lost is probably inevitable!