Phosphates killed my SPS?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by tatted4ever, Oct 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

PO4 could have killed the SPS at .5, but would not have effected anything else (except for stunting growth as stated). Could have gotten RTN randomly as well. The PVC glue would not have affected anything either, assuming you were using the proper, potable cement. Something else is going on.
    Why are you taking water samples to the LFS? Do you not have your own decent quality test kit? If you're having someone else test your water, you have no idea on what your levels actually are. It's not above a lot of LFS's to fudge your test results, and tell you everything looks great when in reality it doesn't, if it means you might walk out the door with a new creature.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

No, same number of drops. You still need the same reaction. You just have ten times the PO4 to react to.

I do it with nitrate tests too. I have zero.

Works the same way if you are off the scale high. Dilute with 10 times DI water. Times the result by ten.

4. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

first off.... this has happened a few weeks ago. Everything is GREAT now. All sps that lived regaining color and and lps open a beautiful. Had a mass sps wipe out and lps where visibly pissed off.

why did I take a water sample to my lfs?... I dont have a phosphate test kit and all other levels where good. plus he is a trusted lfs... no newbie employees just one guy thats been doing this longer than me and you combined.

It was just all to coincidental that this happened in the time when I redid my my plumbing and had the glue spill.

I didnt walk out the door with a new creature that was the last thing on both of our minds. what was on our minds was how do we combat the problem. Water test and running some media that I didnt have on my system.

I do have test kits.... salifert for mag, ca, alk and IO for Nitrates, ammonia, and nitrite. No phosphate test kit.

For my lfs to fudge my results would be idiotic cause he knows hed be losing a good customer.

Have you read any other threads that covered my situation a few weeks ago?