Phosphates @ 1 ppm

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ReefBruh, Dec 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I am running biopellets now. Looking at getting a brs reactor on payday. Good choice or not? Because I do plan on having sps in the dt.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya, the BRS reactor is a easy choice... although you have the TLF... is there a reason you need another one because most folks either run the BRS or TLF.

4. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

I use dual TLF reactors, one for phosphates and one for either carbon or zeolite. from the pics, I dont know what the manufacture recomends concerning the reactor you have but doesnt seem like a lot of media in your reactor, perhaps if you added more, or maybe GFO as Corailline suggested. But why the concern for the 1ppm? Are you keeping some real touchy SPS? Usually GFO should fill half the reactor, carbon can be nearly full- but check before use.

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

TLF?

6. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

TLF = two little fishes (brand)

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Duh...... blonde moment.

8. Click Here!

9. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Why question it,they're not THAT high. Algae is in the fuge where it should be and not in your DT. If it worries you that much just find a way to run some reducing material like ROWAphos or similar.

Also, I believe bio-pellets of all makes take some time to become active enough where you'll see positive effects. I would expect some nutrient spikes after their addition with no other nutrient reducing media,especially with no water changes.

10. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

That happened already with my nitrates so I thought that was the culprit.

11. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I also pruned my chaeto a couple weeks ago. Could the phosphates leak back into the tank that way?

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

PO4 are going to circulate... they are broke down only to be taken up by palnts, bacteria and critters only to be broken down again after they die or are eaten. Adding food to the tank is an inport of nutrients. Cleaning a skimmer cup or filter floss is an export. Removing algae is a export from the tank.

Sure PO4 are relesed to a small degree when you prune, but it is PO4 that were there before. It is not an increase and you are not going to detect such a small amount on a kit. Maybe if you detroyed a small bucket of it in the tank, but just harvesting/pruning no.