Phosphates @ 1 ppm

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ReefBruh, Dec 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am not the least bit surprised that is your phos level. You have some nice big fish that need to eat more frequently and larger volumns. While that level may contribute to issues with some sps ( such as coloration and PE ) it should have no effect on the fish.

If it continues to increase, I would suggest some phosban, GFO, purgien....eqiv. Possibly some mangroves if possible.

And I agree the phosphate level may actually be higher as some of the phosphates are now bound up in the algae.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Yes my skimmer is working great and my sand bed in the fuge is about 4-5 inches.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Wow. That never crossed my mind.

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

My old skimmer kept overflowing on three different occasions. But that was over a couple months ago. Other than that my numbers were perfect and no water changes were done. My concern was why the algae wasn't showing up in my dt with my phospates high.

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I have a hose coming out my skimmer cup going into a 2 liter bottle. The old skimmer hap a bad propellor and later the pump went wacko and caused the cup to overflow thus the big floods. But that has been fixed with the new skimmer. Here are pics of my setup today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Is this sarcasim? Or are you serious?

Is that a phosphate reactor I see? Hard to tell.

Perhaps a few pounds of live rubble rock might help?

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I don't really see that you have a problem. Hobby test kits for PO4 are not very accurate first off. Even if the reading is right it is not too alarming unless you have SPS. Alage can grow in as little as .01

Cyano in the fuge is no big deal. No need to clean it out other than actually exporting nutrients. Do you have other macro algae in there and do you harvest it?

Test kits only tell a concentration in solution... they do not tell export and inport. You can have a tank full of algae with a zero reading. Yet your production/inport can be quite significant. All zero tells you is that the nutrient is being taken up at the same rate it is being produced.

One possibility is that alage is actually nitrate limited. Plenty of PO4, but not enough nitrate.... yet that is rare. Do you have anything sucking up nitrates... sponges, biopellets, lots of live rock?

10. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I was very serious. That's a phosban reactor with bio pellets in there. Its been running 2 weeks so I am assuming the rise in those readings. I have a lot of live rubble in the sump.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So you have some macro and mangroves.... looks like maybe some pellets in a reactor??? You very well could be nitrate limited. Hummm

12. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Are you refering to nitrates feeding phosphates because of the size of my fish? I never really factored that in the equation.