Phosphate problems??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by SS_Minnow, Nov 1, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SS_Minnow

SS_Minnow Plankton

Check out the slimey red and dark green algae i have growing on the gravel. When I stir it up it reappears in a day or two as a mat. I tested my phosphate levels today and they are high, I'm changing some of the water tonight. Is there anything that removes phosphate from the water safely? I'm not buying an RO unit and other alternatives are also very expensive. I may end up getting natural seawater that has been filtered if I don't have many options here...

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Phosphates come mainly from 2 sources. The food we add to our tanks and the quality of the water we add. BTW---RO units filter lots of things but not phospates. The DI portion of RO/DI units is what removes the phosphates from the topoff water.

As a result, you are going to see a lot of posts that say, are are you using RO/DI water, what types of foods do you use, etc.

You can combat phosphates in a number of ways. Refugiums with Macro-Algae for nutrient export, only using RO/DI water (whether you have your own unit or buy it from a LFS), and rinsing all frozen foods prior to feeding and testing the phosphate content of other types of foods added to your tank.

The cheapest option is getting RO/DI water from your LFS if they have it. Phosphate sponges can get expensive after a while as well. Refugiums typically require adding a return pump or a pump to move water to into the refugium to return water to your system.

There is a great variability in the water quality across the nation. Call you water supplier and ask them for the analysis of your tapwater. You might be one of the lucky ones.

You didn't mention how old your tank is. If it is very new, even if you don't have a high-phosphate content foods or water, you're going to see all sorts of nasties. It is all a part of the aging of your system. Some people are lucky and don't need the DI portion of a RO/DI unit. Others are the other way around. They don't need the RO portion and they can use a much cheaper DI unit (do a google for Tapwater Purifier).

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

A
    'Poly Filter Pad" will help and also Phophate sponge works.

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

did you test just the tank for phophates or the water you use before you add to your tank? see if there are phosphates in the water pre use to see if you are adding them or maby someting in the tank is causing phosphates. you have cyano (red slime) also how is your current in the tank? this type seems to lay in low circulated areas