Phosphate Media

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Dyonopses1, Dec 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

I don't have a phosphate reactor but I am looking for some new media to go in a mesh bag in my canister filter and HOB power filter. GFO and the others seem kinda expensive so I am looking for the biggest bang for my buck. I have been reading about what people are saying about Clear FX pro. I have also been considering UltraMaxx.
    AquaMaxx UltraMaxx AIO All-In-One Filter Media
    Or how about some of these new liquid phosphate removers like
    Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E Liquid Phosphate Remover for all Marine Aquaria 500ml / 17oz
    Need some good opinions as I am planning on making an order soon.

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I think, if you consider all of the variables, Bulk Reef Supply GFO is really the least expensive phosphate media that works well (certainly a heck of a lot less expensive than what you linked). Lanthium chloride based products would be the exception, but there are a lot of complications with its use and I really don't recommend it, unless you really know what you are doing.

Do you run macro algae, or an algae turf scrubber? How are your nitrates? Iron? If your nitrates are low, or iron is low, that could be limiting how much phosphate your macro algae is pulling out of the system. Sometimes dosing iron or nitrate actually makes sense, in order to bring down phosphate.

For Iron, you can use Fergon tables from a drugstore, as described here:
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1807946

For nitrate, calcium nitrate, sodium nitrate, or potassium nitrate can work. You can get a pound calcium nitrate for very little money from gulf coast ecosystems (live-plants.com). That should basically last a lifetime...

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

or....I could ship you some of my tank water :p

1 person likes this.
  5. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

GFO, no matter the source is you best bang for the buck. The liquid "miracle" potions bind phospahtes and other substances so they are not as bad but they do not remove them. What do they think they do, magically disappear in thin air? If you are not using something like GFO or other media to adsorb and export it, its still there.

7. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

i have used both Rowa phos and Clear fx pro in my fluval canister with good results.The Rowa phos seems pricey but you need only a small amount sandwitched between some filter floss.The downside to using either in a canister is a little added maintenance to keep the filter floss or mesh bags from collecting gunk,they need to be rinsed often.

10. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

That makes sense about the liquid stuff. I won't use it.

11. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

Cool...... I clean my mechanical filtration frequently.

12. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

This looks good. Wonder what size I should buy for a 46 gallon reef tank?