Phosphate/Calcium Issues Continued

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by New2Salt, Oct 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. New2Salt

New2Salt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Not to digress from chemistry issues, but can anyone tell me why my finger coral is leaning to the right?? I have posted pics. The pic in which the coral is standing straight was taken 2 days ago, and the leaning pic was taken this morning.

The current is coming from the left.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. New2Salt

Also, although it looks like rocks are supporting the coral, they are not. He stands on his own with no problem.

4. New2Salt

I'll tell you what:

You let me stay at your place in Miami, I will buy you all the Coronas you want!! Heck, I'll rent you my fiance for the weekend!!! :eek: 8) ;)

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You answered your own question :)

6. New2Salt

Well, I dont really have a choice in the matter!! The BioCube has the output on the left side of the tank! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Are you sure the Finger Corals lean away from currents?? I haven't read this anyhere and I have spent the last 4 hours reading about this type of coral.

So if this is true, how can I fix the problem? I dont want him to be uncomfortable! I can re-direct the nozzle but that is not going to change the fact that the current is still coming from the left.

BTW, this species is supposed to like a strong current...

Im confused.

Thanks for your imput.

7. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Yes, Amcarrig (moderator) is sure about your finger leaning the one direction because of current direction. Mine does the same.

I also have a 14 gal cube that I keep misc. stuff in. Good for low light softies as it is out of the box but the flow from the pump is poor. I retro fitted a small rio in the back compartment and boosted the flow 4 times what was in there. I then rigged the lock line fittings to fit a hydor-flow which knocked down the flow again but still considerably more than what was factory and now it swirls the water around in that little tank pretty good. Something like this would be good to try if your corals are leaning in one direction.

An upgrade in lighting might help also. My finger leather seems to want to stretch up to the light big and strong and then later in the day get much bigger and relaxed with a deeper color.

Ive been watching this thread develop and take into account your freshwater background. Flow, calcium, light...Its a whole new world when you are rollin in the salt!

What a great hobby!!! (addiction,obsession)

Can I get in on the Corona thing?

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

It like a good flow of current but our little glass box of water is not the ocean and they in the real world get one current one way then itb alternates out the other way.. At best I found them to do best in a slight current just enough to move their polyps when extended just to see them swaying is plenty.

10. New2Salt

OK, so if I am hearing you correctly, do I need to create multiple directions of flow? It sounds like you upgraded the pump with a "Rio," which made 4x more flow. But wouldn't that stronger flow - even though it sounds like you tamed it a bit - create more leaning?? Or is it directed differently?

Im not opposed to upgrading the lighting. But would I be able to keep the actinic? What would it cost? And can it be done DIY??

Flow, Calcium, Light...yea, a differently ballgame is an UNDERSTATEMENT Tangster!! I have experience with UVB lighting and Heat Lamps for my turtle, and I created some pretty cool wet/dry filters for my brother's Oscar, but there is a whole new set of rules for SW.

As far as the Corona, WOW Im getting off easy! Im glad I didn't post that pic of my fiance!! :eek: Haha, just kidding. There are some gentlemen here I guess. ;)

11. New2Salt

Tang, do you have a photo or two of where your finger coral is in relation to where the output is directed?? This would be a huge help. I know your pump is obviously differently but if I upgrade the pump, I would like to see how you have done it now while I have your ear.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If you mean me ??? I don't keep soft corals any longer at home . I just grow out the different types we grow for sale here at Aquatic Arts Technologies .. But I keep them all in a slight flow of water just enough to move some flakes around nothing needs to be blasted like many try to do .. You will just have to play with the outlet I have a Cube also that is just like yours you can up grade that cheap pump and add a tee and vinyl tubing and flow it from both sides .. I may have a camera in the truck I Can get you a cheesy picture I don't do cameras thats the Bosses Job at Home :)

I'd just set that coral right in the middle or where you now have it and under the pump outlet it will be fine But everytimje its moved it will have to resettle in and it may take several days to a week or two to really open up.. The pump that was in out cube was so crappy I had to change it out with a mini maxi jet..Now it flows water

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007