Phosguard with leather corals?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by nanomania, Jan 10, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Eco Marine Reef

Eco Marine Reef Astrea Snail

If you are planning to use the phosguard in a bag, I would suggest placing it in a high flow area of the sump. Where does the water come down from your display? Hard to tell where the drain/overflow and return areas are located. Also, do you have any baffles in you sump? For the longest time, I would shove my bags of carbon, phosguard and purigen in between my baffles. Just make sure the bags are secure so they don't accidentally get stuck to any of your pumps trying to draw in water. T Some people will place an egg crate box around the bags or a rack just before the return pump. This will ensure water is being drawn through the media bags before entering the main display. There are definitely a lot of options, especially if you want to DIY.

Can you take some more pics of the sump area and how water is fed from the display down to your sump?

nanomania likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Yes, ill take a few more pics of my sump and post n explain how its been made.. im not getting the time to make video.. But this is how i use carbin and pirigen in my planted tank and is working good..

[​IMG]

Jus like an internal canister.. diy

4. Eco Marine Reef

Your DIY internal canister should work perfectly for pushing water through your carbon, phosguard and whatever other media you choose to use. I think that is a great idea to implement on your tank, if that was what you already had in mind.

nanomania likes this.
  5. nanomania

Thanks, for purigen, iv used a fluidized bed boyu reactor, so have called for the same. Iv used a smaller airtight bottle for phosguard and carbon. Will be using together, jus that ill have to manage the ratio of phos and carbon in such a way that i can cheange them together as phos works more than carbon.

6. nanomania

Jus started using today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Eco Marine Reef

Looking good! What mixture of carbon and phosguard did you end up using? The mixture you are making is essentially the same thing as a product called Seachem Seagel.

nanomania likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

Well since im using purigen in a reactor, i used 1/4th the amt recomended for carbon (25ml), and for po4, i used little more than half the recomended amt (60ml)

10. nanomania

I think i can use it without the bag too since im using 2 sponge as u can see..

11. nanomania

Just measured po4, seems to be almost same after 4 days.. what can be the issue?

12. nanomania