Phosguard Experiences?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Siddique, Jan 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I know that it has been discussed here on 3reef before but I'd like to know if anyone can share their experience with this product.
    My PO4 is very high, 1.0ppm. The only available PO4 remover available here is seachem's phosguard AO (aluminum oxide). I got some yesterday along with a reactor. I'm hesitant to use it because I'm hearing two sides to the story, some say it is the best thing to use and others say that it can slow soft corals. My tank is a dominated softy; large toadstool, kenya tree etc.
    Has anyone ever had any ill effects when using phosguard?
    Note: GFO of any type is not available in Trinidad and it would take way too long to have it shipped.
    Cheer

2. Click Here!

3. TahoeMtn

TahoeMtn Flamingo Tongue

The problem with aluminum based phos removers is that they absorb some of the PO4 and if not removed fairly soon they can re release it back into the system. On that note a short period of using the product even if it slows growth temporarily, is better than crashing the whole tank. I would begin using the product available and order some GFO. I use www.bulkreefsupply.com

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I've used it for several yrs never harmed any type of coral I had it did tend to tweak some of the sps if it was not really rinsed well But like mentioned above use it up and change it often as it will release the bound up PO4 back into the system unlike the iron oxide

I think most stuff people read is posted by someone who had allowed the PO4 to build up to high and then just used a mega amount of the stuff and stripped the water to fast and the softs tend to consume PO4s as a food source to some extent then they just want to blame something and talk . Follow the label directions and do the PO lowering slowly if you have high levels now..

5. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the link, a fellow reefer here in Trinidad ordered from them already so I know that they would ship to Trinidad efficiently. Thanks

Thanks, that got some weight off of my shoulders.
    I just happened to get my hands on a half pound of GFO.
    Both the AO and GFO are from bulk suppliers so they were given to me in zip lock bags... No instructions.
    A few questions;
    What's considered high PO4?
    How much flow should I have runnoing through the reactor?
    What quantity of either the AO or GFO to use so as to not drop PO4 levels too fast?
    Which of the two is the better and safer one to use? AO or GFO?
    Thanks Much;)

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Siddique

I have used Phosgaurd and did not experience any negatives
    the instructions are a bit more complicated than I was used to for using GFO

you need about 250ml per 100 gallon of water - you run it for 4 days, if the level has not dropped to 0.02 -you throw the Phosgaurd away and replace with a new 250ml
    and run for another 4 days - if level is below 0.02 you can then leave the Phosguard in place until your test kits indicate the Phosphate is rising again, in which case, you throw away and replace.

once the levels are 0 - you can remove the Phosguad from service and only re introduce once P04 starts to climb again ( with GFO , you can just leave it there all the time if you want)

GFO - I dont recal reading any negatives about using it
    AO - I have read a number of comments regarding it afftecting soft corals to close up
    ( you need to rinse this product really well, because the dust if allowed to be pushed into the DT may be what really affects the corals)

Salifert test kit - comments on PO4 levels
    0.03 or below = good
    0.10 - critical
    0.25 - coral growth retarded

Steve

7. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Thanks Steve,
    I've already started using GFO. Only a small amount possibly around 50ml in the reactor.
    If I don't see the PO4 reducing in a few days, I'll up the qty to 100ml. Hopefully that would work. I'll still keep the bit of AO phosguard that I have in case of emergency or in case the GFO doesn't work;)

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I have used Phosgaurd on numerous occasions and have yet to have anythin, but a good outcome. If you need to lower your PO4 then get some.

10. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Could I use both?
    AO and GFO?
    Do I necessarily need to run the media in a reactor or can it be used in a filter sock/stocking:confused:
    Thanks

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Siddique - I have used both, never at the same time though , so I cant comment on that

I have used them both in mesh bags in cannsiter filters (Internal and External ones)
    Phosgaurd - seems less likely to compact so stays lose for longer and thus to me seemed to perform well in this situation

GFO tended to compact , reducing flow through it (I could tell by looking at the filter outlet the water pressure was dropping) to compensate for this, I removed it and rinsed it in the dirty tank water at water change time

I "feel" that even with doing this, I did not get the most efficient use of the GFO using this method , and probably ended up using twice as much running it in a mesh bag in the power filters as I would have needed in a reactor , due to this clogging issue

Steve

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I ran both at the same time. Works well.