Phoenix 14k vs Radium 20k - Which 150w is more blue?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by GjB, Dec 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

I'm planning on changing my bulbs likely next month. I've been debating between these two lights. I'll be looking forward to seeing the two pics!

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Another option you guys should consider is the Aquamaxx 14K from Marine Depot. It is very close to the Phoenix. I don't really prefer one over the other but I prefer both by far over the 150 watt Radium. Of course for 250 watt I still feel the Radium is KING!

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have read many like the radium 20k 150 w bulbs better they say they are easier on the eye. after reading what you say about pink/ice tint im sold! that will be my next bulb :) i have the phoenix 14k. its a bit to blue for me

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

It depends on your ballast. E-ballasts make the Phoenix look like "windex" as it has been described. I loved my Pheonix 14K on my Galaxy though.

GCarrol is right though that Radiums are darn near ledgendary... but those are 400w single ended. Radiums started coming out with lower watt double ended that don't seem to capture what the SE do. I don't really know.... for the 250w if I still had my setup I would be willing to try. Heck the 250w DE Radium was not out when I needed new bulbs. Never heard much about the 150w.