Philly Here! New 75Gallon Setup - Help?

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by ItalianNJ, Feb 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

2. Click Here!

3. antonio101

antonio101 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Tap water o my god you should use a RO/DI filter I use a wet/dry with bio ball my self, and they work fine. You should use 1lb to 1.5 lb of live rock per gl of water. And I thing you should dump that skimmer.

4. ItalianNJ

ItalianNJ Astrea Snail

Well I conditioned the tap water, and have a house filter as well. Yes I know it was a mistake, but I hate to dump the 75G right now, I think I can do a lot of partial changes with RO water to catch up, no?
    I definately am going to purchase one.

Why dump the skimmer?
    See my post in Skimmers

5. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Don't worry about using water changes to 'catch up' the diatom algae (brown dusty stuff) will die off by itself as the tank ages. It's just part of the process. My tank was brown for about 3 weeks then almost overnight it disappeared on it's own. Just clean the front glass so you can see in!;D

Mike

6. ItalianNJ

ItalianNJ Astrea Snail

Added pictures!

Okay - so I took out that skimmer that was nothing but junk and bought a TUNZE yesterday.. the 9010.. and already its working!!

Click on my camera icon.. I added pictures of my setup if anyone is interested.

7. Michaelr5

Very nice tank and cabinet. The only comment I would make is I think your are going to need more light than 7 candles! :hehe: LOL!

8. Click Here!

9. ItalianNJ

ItalianNJ Astrea Snail

HAHAHA! True!!! Really, the light wasnt on when I first took the pictures this morning. Its getting really green in there right now..
    I believe I have enough live rock by now.. not sure how many pounds, but at least 100-125 lbs.. if now more...

10. ItalianNJ

ItalianNJ Astrea Snail

Okay - I just tested my water, and it is as follows:

PH 8.3
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite .25
    Nitrate 0

Is this where it should be at after running for 2 weeks? I have been adding live rock almost every couple of days until yesterday.. Now I believe I have enough - although I do want to get some branches for the top layer a bit..

I thought I would see some water chemistry changes by now if it is cycling?? No? - So I think I am on the roll. I will be traveling to Canada for work next week, so I taught my partner what to do.. So am I still aiming for April 1st??
    I am dying to add livestock!! :)

Michael

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  11. Michaelr5

Looks pretty good for a cycling tank. Have you seen any rise in the nitrate levels? The nitrite will probably rise a little more and then start falling as the bacterial agents start to do their thing, raising the nitrate. After that everything should fall to 0 again. Also if you are putting uncured rock in the tank you should be watching it for any die off and removing dead stuff.

Mike

12. ItalianNJ

ItalianNJ Astrea Snail

Well all of my rock has been purchased as "cured" already...although I do see a little slime on a few of them waving in the winds.. without disturbing my setup - what do you think I should do?
    I do have 1 beautiful rock in there with dusters coming out.. kinda cool!
    I was shining a flashlight on it, and they popped back in and out.. kinda neat!