Phew-WEE Shrimp stink

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Flyguysc, Feb 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You should have enough nitrifying bacteria (your biological filter) to complete the nitrogen cycle. The population of beneficial bacteria waxes and wanes depending on the amount of amount of food available. By ghost feeding the tank you assist in maintaining the population of nitrifying bacteria.
    Technically you're right, but you have established enough beneficial bacteria from the initial cycle that the nitrogen cycle is completed before ammonia has a chance to build up or be detected with standard test.
    Every time you add a fish the biological filter grows from the bi-products of metabolism from the fish. You can overwhelm your biological filter by adding too many fish too fast.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 The main reason I prefer ghost feedings is it is much easier to determine the amount of food added/waste produced.Its as simple as taking some flake food and pretending you have two fish in the tank(you can even name them if it helps.)Feed them however you plan on doing that .In time your tank will balance itself out and then you are ready for your fish.;)

And yes Larry and Bob are still considered members of my reef tank although I don't feed them anymore.:)

4. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Thanks that clears up the cycling issue a bit. Pandora & Abigail are going in tank as soon as my no3- kicks in. Got some awesome pics of the shrimp in panty hose as they rotted. Unbelievable nasty looking stuff took them out and stunk the house up big time. My latest API reading are PH 8.0, No3/4 2.0ppm,No2- 0.25ppm,NO3-0 ppm, salinity 32, SG 1.023-1.024. I'm excited for sure. Will post pics tomorrow. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014