PharmrJohn's 90g Thread

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by PharmrJohn, Sep 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

So today worked on my tank stand mod. I had to create a load bearing structure on the backside because my old tank was 19" in width. The new one is 18". The other three sides were cool. I just had to build one more. I really lucked out in how this stand was built. It was a gimme. And I like gimmes because I have NO carpentry experience. None. This was a first for me.....at 44yo. So here it is for posterity.

First I took the floor out...

[​IMG]

Then I sized up the situation and cut six 2x4s and one 1x2. Like I said, this one was easy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just screwed the 2x4s to the base and the 1x2 to the 2x4s and I was in business.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That looks like it will work. Good job!

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I love those guys!

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

My anenome, xenia and frogspawn were starting to die in my holding tanks so I brought them over to the main tank a little early. It is about 2/3rds full with no filtration, skimming or overflow yet, but the water quality is much superior.

I am mixing a batch of, gulp, conditioned tap water. I added the majority of the salt around noon and am going to add it tonight. Then I am going to work on the plumbing and have that up and running tomorrow hopefully. I will add the LR back into the mix so the nitrogen cycle can commence again and will do a water change at the end of the week.

A few pics of what I had going late last night (early this morning).

[​IMG]

If you look closely, I had Glad wrap covering the sand as I started putting water in the tank. The Glad rose with the water level and provided a great barrier so that the water did not get cloudy....not one little bit. Worked like a charm. K+ to whoever suggested that. Can't remember who it was, but thanks.

[​IMG]

6. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Looking good John and when you get done you will have to fly down here and help me upgrade mine. LOL. best of luck to you.

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Just added the rest of the LR. Added all the corals. I put the three stripe in the main tank. I am going to keep him. Added all inverts. I moved the Longnosed Hawkfish and the Magenta Dottyback to the nano for now. The LN will go back to the LFS. The dottyback will stay in the nano.

I have a yellow damsel I need to place. I will put another 10g under the established 10g and place the damsel in there. It is going back too, I just don't want to overload my nano more than it is already and I don't want to kill it. That would be uncool. When it becomes unoccupied, I will convert that into a small QT. No substrate. No rock. Just a few cheeseball decorations for the fish to hide behind.

The 10g FW is going. In it's place is going to be a 15g tall. It is my old sump.....and it will fit perfectly in the space available. I will need a small T5 for it, as it will be my kids' reef tank. ​

8. Click Here!

9. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

Any updates on the tank? Looks great so far.

10. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

i am jealous...

but looks really really nice man, karma to you!!
    Hope everything is working out as planned!!!

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

i wouldnt have ever thought of that glad wrap over sand trick, gonna have to try that out

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Great thread, a lot of great info on how to swap out a tank.

One question if you had a 75 and needed to upgrade. I'll take it you wanted to stick to a 4' foot print why not go 120G LOL

Sorry had to say it

J